Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DDP: Approx 8 sections of seating removed in upper deck endzone - more removed as of 2012 DDP, LL Endzone in 2013

MarkB452

Which group got the biggest upgrade?  

301 members have voted

1. 1. Which group got the biggest upgrade?

This poll is closed to new votes

Anybody else at the draft day party notice all the seats ripped out of the upper deck endzone above the tunnels where the teams come out? Anybody hear of any plans for these seats? Heck, if they were going to rip out seats, I wish they would start with some of the worst of the worst obstructed view seats.

Damn.......anyone have any pics of this? If they are reducing seating capacity at FedEx that would be pretty big news.

Edit: Check out this video on Redskins.com

http://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/videos/Fans-Reaction-to-Draft/f8036764-a43d-44c3-8bd4-02dab946b931

At about the 1:20 mark when they are interviewing a fan if you look in the background you can see pretty much the whole sections in the upper deck behind the end zone have no seats. Hard to tell from the video if the seats had been ripped out or if it was a tarp covering (and I would doubt that....what would be the purpose?) but......WOW! Other shots in the video show showed seats remained in the end zone at the other end of the field.

Can we be getting more PARTY DECKS????? :)

A member of the premium seating sales staff told me that a "major announcement" will be made in the next couple of weeks.

Click on the link in the post below for a pic.

I suspect it's an effort to reduce GA seating in the upper deck, due to a lack of demand for endzone seats. (despite a waiting list of 200,000 names.)

Wow, thats crazy. Don't they supposedly sell out every game? Maybe they are putting in new seats or something.

If they are in fact reducing seating, I'm sure they'll spin it as some sort of upgrade for the fans. I'm thinking wider seats with table tops between, or perhaps large signs for ads and honors of Redskins legends, etc.

A while back they took out about 6,000 or so seats from US Cellular Field (former Comiskey Park) in Chicago, and as part of that they added a new roof to the place. Is it possible that part of the "major annoucement" that RFKFedEx is citing might include the construction of some sort of cover at the top? Although I would think that you'd have to eliminate seats in almost all areas of the upper deck to make that work. I'd like to see a before and after shots of the renovations at Comiskey.

It is pretty interesting timing, particularly given the labor strife, etc. It was funny hearing Ryan Kerrigan on the radio the other day saying all the right things, including how the Skins "constantly sell out a 90,000 seat stadium." Guess it might not be 90K much longer...............

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 12:54 AM ----------

I would guess they're simply re-painting them.

If that were the case, I don't know how that would qualify as a "major annoucement," as the guy the other poster talked to suggested. If anything, they might be putting in new seats up there. As part of the Comiskey renovations, they did replace all of the seats and make them a different color (green instead of blue).

In another thread recently I said that if the Skins should do anything with the seating bowl, they should bite the bullet and make all of the seats in the club level padded and burgundy, instead of the stupid checkerboard effect you have now as a result of some contract holders opting for the padded burgundy upgrade.

Already had it confirmed. They removed seats to make an upper deck party deck.

This would explain why season tix for upper level endzone sold out so quickly. I wonder where they're going to put all of the displaced season ticket holders with these seats. Is it only going to take 4 months to finish this construction? Seems like they would have started it over the winter.

In another thread recently I said that if the Skins should do anything with the seating bowl, they should bite the bullet and make all of the seats in the club level padded and burgundy, instead of the stupid checkerboard effect you have now as a result of some contract holders opting for the padded burgundy upgrade.

I see what you're saying, but wouldn't it be a better fix to replace those burgundy padded seats with gold ones? I think it looks much nicer with the gold club level seating in between the burgundy upper and lower decks.

I see what you're saying, but wouldn't it be a better fix to replace those burgundy padded seats with gold ones? I think it looks much nicer with the gold club level seating in between the burgundy upper and lower decks.

When the stadium first opened I thought it was neat to see the gold "middle" ring in between the two burgundy rings. But I don't see them going through the expense of making all of the seats they already upgraded to burgundy padded ones a different color. And especially since the metal things in the club level party deck are burgundy. Just make the whole section burgundy and be done with it.

I made my "party deck" as the reason for the missing upper seats as more of a joke and thought maybe they were installing new seats with cupholders up there. But TK hearing that it will be a party deck makes sense, given that in the picture, there looks like a uniform number of rows at the bottom of each section which have seats remaining. IIRC, this is also the end of the stadium which is typically closed off for most concerts they have, so maybe they are only changing this end for now.

And to the question of how long it will take to do......I remember the club level end zones were in pretty much the same state at last year's party, and they had those done easily before the first preseason game.

A while back they took out about 6,000 or so seats from US Cellular Field (former Comiskey Park) in Chicago,.

They've done wonders with the renovations at New Comiskey and I've been hoping they could do similar things with FedEx. Both venues were widely considered duds for the new generation of 1990s sports venues when comparing them to other new stadiums that opened shortly after.

• 3 weeks later...
i saw that at draft day. looked very cool to me. how do you get those tickets? you need club level seats to be able to hang out there, i'd assume?

My bet is they will sell what they can as upper level party decks and distribute the rest to Suite/Premium ticket holders as perks and incentives.

This was a post on Hogs Haven back in February which jives with what TK reported in this thread right after the DDP:

http://www.hogshaven.com/2011/2/25/2014553/keeping-up-with-the-jonses-the-jerruh-jonses

Is anyone going to the Chesney concert in a few weeks? If so, please take some pics of how they are progressing on this project......and if they are also doing the same thing at the opposite end of the stadium as well.

party deck is gonna suck. That ultimately means people standing up to watch the game.

Then stay at home. We need less of you wine and cheese fans at the game anyways. If you are under the age of 50 you should have no problem standing at a FOOTBALL game. Hopefully this move generates some noise.

Archived