Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this a scam or did I really win an iPad? UPDATE! NOT a scam

Bliz

UPDATE: So I talked to them and not a scam. Just received an email from the Apple store confirming the order and saying the thing is on it's way. The 16gb version with no 3g (which I think means no monthly fee?). Gee thanks Parenting Group. Couldn't spring for the good model, huh? <j/k>

Psyched! :cool:

--------------

So I received the following email today:

Hi! I just wanted to send a reminder to please confirm your address by 10/24/10 to redeem your iPad. Your prize will be void if we do not receive confirmation by 10/24/10.

Thank you.

Landrie Moore

Marketing Coordinator

The Parenting Group

2 Park Avenue, 10th Floor

New York, NY 10016

p 212.779.5122 f 212.770.5200

e landrie.moore@bonniercorp.com

theparentinggroupmediakit.com

?ui=2&ik=ba02288ee6&view=att&th=12bc1313544b40ef&attid=0.1&disp=emb&zw

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, October 11, 2010 2:52 PM

To: '[bliz]

Subject: Winner! Babytalk Father's Day Sweepstakes

Congratulations! You are the winner of the Babytalk Father’s Day Gift Sweepstakes! Please confirm your address by 10/24/10 so we can send you your iPad. Please note, if we do not receive confirmation of this email by 10/24/10, your prize will be void.

Landrie Moore

Marketing Coordinator

The Parenting Group

2 Park Avenue, 10th Floor

New York, NY 10016

p 212.779.5122 f 212.770.5200

e landrie.moore@bonniercorp.com

theparentinggroupmediakit.com

?ui=2&ik=ba02288ee6&view=att&th=12bc1313544b40ef&attid=0.1&disp=emb&zw

I absolutely remember entering a contest at Babies R Us right around Father's day, where the prize was an iPad (I'm about 95% sure). Fill out a card, drop it in, forget about it.

This group/magazine is legitimate. Using google to search shows parentinggroup to be associated with parenting.com and parenting magazine. Going through the normal search channels gets you to that parentinggroupmediakit.com webpage. The contact numbers on the webpage are all similar to hers, though she isn't listed. But I did find a press release about her being named the new marketing coordinator. http://ads.bonniercorp.com/newsbytes/2010-07-13/BON_NL_NB_2010-07-13.html . I can't find anything online that would suggest this is a known scam.

All this sounds great. BUT, I never got the email in the chain below. Why would that be? If it was spam and I permanently deleted it without reading, why wouldn't it have gone to spam again? That's the only thing that gives me pause. If it is a scam, what can they do with just an address? Nothing, I think. Addresses are reasonably easy to get.

I really think this is legit. There's a solid explanation, the email looks legit, the group looks legit, but I can't get around the prior email question. Why didn't I get the prior email? I don't mean to be overly paranoid, but in this crazy world of "Nigerian princes" and, well, "free iPads" you just can't be too careful.

So....is this a scam or did I really win an iPad?

Was this thread necessary or was it just me subconsciously wanting to come in here and be like "Hey everybody, I just won a free iPad"

My opinion is, it's a scam. I got an invite thing from FB just like this the other day. I stupidly put in my info and now my email is getting spammed. Then I googled it and the offer appears to be BS because you have to sign up for all this crap first which will cost you.

That was my first thought too. But nothing showing up on google searches that would suggest other people are getting scammed by this. Some of the graphics didn't come through in my op, but it is a professional looking sig with logos that look like they match the website. And the fact that I filled out a card for a father's day contest at Babies R Us pushes it over the edge for me. I think I'm going to answer it. <crosses fingers>

Archived