Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Debate Series: What sport rules each major sports city? (Currently debating Dallas, starting page 4)

Forehead

The idea for this came from the "Second most popular athlete" thread, as there was some debate over who would be #2 behind OVechkin in a few years. It was mentioned that good or bad, Washington is a football town and as soon as the Redskins are good, it wouldn't even be close, even supplanting Ovechkin. The argument (though some argue for the NBA) is that Washington is a football town first and everything else second.

So I figure, why not study each major sports city and figure out where they all stand. People can chime in with opinions or personal experiences if they have lived in the vicinity of said city. For the purposes of this thread, a "major sports city" will be defined as having representation in at least 3 of the 4 major sports, and teams named after a state will be assigned to either the city they are located in, or the closest. So Green Bay (Packers, Bucks, Brewers) can be debated, while Baltimore (Ravens, Orioles) is once again labeled the failure that it truly is, only having two teams.

I'll keep a running list in the OP, along with where the debates are taking place, so folks can chime in.

Atlanta - Baseball Town

Boston - Baseball Town

Chicago - Football Town (Possibly up for debate still)

Cleveland - Football Town

Dallas -

Why don't we start it off with a tough one, Chicago. Chicago has a number of major sports teams, and representation in all four major sports, sometimes more than once.

So, among the Bulls, Cubs, White Sox, Bears, and Blackhawks, which sport rules Chicago, regardless of how poorly the team is doing?

So, among the Bulls, Cubs, White Sox, Bears, and Blackhawks, which sport rules Chicago, regardless of how poorly the team is doing?

Well its clearly Bulls v Bears. Bulls hit higher heights, Bears have history. Having never lived in the region, I do not know.

But as a rule, I am always inclided to side with history when in doubt.

I say Bears.

Just a thought, but maybe we should go alphabetically?

That IS a tough one. I don't know on a year-in and year-out basis, but something tells me a Cubs championship would mean the most to die hard Chicago sports fans. Some of that might have to do with the fact that the other teams have won in the past 25 years...

Off the top of my head, I'd say the Cubs mean the most as well, though I think Chicago has attached themselves to the whole "lovable losers" thing in that regard. If they actually won, everyone might be a little sad inside. Anyway, the Cubs mean more than the White Sox, and despite their recent championship, I don't think the Blackhawks have the same sway as the others. I'd say it's between the Bears, Cubs, and Bulls.

That IS a tough one. I don't know on a year-in and year-out basis, but something tells me a Cubs championship would mean the most to die hard Chicago sports fans. Some of that might have to do with the fact that the other teams have won in the past 25 years...

As the city is split along baseball lines, not sure that you can say that either the Cubbies or White Sox are the tean of the town.

I think we need to qualify that is this what sport rules each town, or what team rules each town, and where college sports count. Sport is personally to broad a stroke for me, JMHO.

Just a thought, but maybe we should go alphabetically?

Yeah, I thought about that, but it would require me to make a list up front of all the cities that qualify. I picked Chicago on purpose because it was near the top, but we probably should have started with Atlanta or something.

As the city is split along baseball lines, not sure that you can say that either the Cubbies or White Sox are the tean of the town.

I think we need to qualify that is this what sport rules each town, or what team rules each town, and where college sports count. Sport is personally to broad a stroke for me, JMHO.

It's not team, it's what sport. Complete this sentence...Chicago is a _____ town. And why? College sports don't count for the purpose of this thread.

Reilly did an article on this a few years back as well, could provide some talking points: http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3593631

For Chicago, this is what he said:

"CHICAGO Bears. The Cubbies are the Windy City's cute Labradoodle pets, but the Bears are in the blood. "Everybody in Chicago loves the Bears," admits Cubs shortstop Ryan Theriot. Pro football is to Chicago what airplanes are to Dayton. In third, the Bulls. Fourth, Notre Dame football."

It's not team, it's what sport. Complete this sentence...Chicago is a _____ town. And why? College sports don't count for the purpose of this thread.

Well, it does for some cities, like Atlanta, where it goes, COLLEGE Football, Baseball, Pro Football. If we are talking just pro sports, then it is more baseball than football. The distinction does matter.

NYC for example, is the home of basketball, but the Yankees are the team of the town. NYC is a basketball town, but a baseball team is the most popular.

Well, it does for some cities, like Atlanta, where it goes, COLLEGE Football, Baseball, Pro Football. If we are talking just pro sports, then it is more baseball than football. The distinction does matter.

NYC for example, is the home of basketball, but the Yankees are the team of the town. NYC is a basketball town, but a baseball team is the most popular.

Okay, now you're just being combatitve.:ols: For the purposes of THIS THREAD, COLLEGE SPORTS DO NOT COUNT. Atlanta will just have to pick a damn pro team, or we'll assign them one.

New York is a ways away, but we'll debate it in good time. Now get back to Chicago.

Chicago is definitely a football city. Two Words...Da Bears!

Here's a list of my opinions of each city:

Chicago - Football

Boston - Baseball

New York - Baseball

Los Angeles - Basketball

Washington, D.C. - Football

Baltimore - Football

Dallas - Football

Houston - Football

St. Louis - Baseball

Indianapolis - Football

Miami - Football

Seattle - Football

Philadelphia - Football

Pittsburgh - Football

Atlanta - Baseball

Kansas City - Football

Detroit - Hockey

Cleveland - Football

Chicago Bears

Legendary institution for decades, associated with names of glory such as Papa Bear Halas and the 1985 Bears. This is a franchise deep in history before and after the NFL-AFL merger. Payton. Ditka. Singletary. Dent. Marshall. McMahon. Luckman. Halas.

From an outsiders perspecitve I'd go with the Bears. I think the Bulls and the Cubs could give them a run, but I think the impact of the Cubs is limited by the White Sox. I really don't know that much about basketball, but does the persona of the Bulls still revolve around Jordan to a certain point? It doesn't seem like that team has the same pull (especially without Jordan) and doesn't hold up to the history and mystique of the Cubs and Bears.

100% Bears in my opinion.

Cubs and Sox suffer due to a split of fans.

Blackhawks are big but not to everyone all the time.

Bulls are bigger then the Blackhawks, but again, not to everyone all the time.

In the current culture Football seems to be the sport that dominates in Northern towns. Across all demographics football will be 1 or 2 in Chicago I would imagine and thus the Bears would win.

Great thread by the way.

After living here the last 10 years or so, a time that include Cubs teams with a chance (bartman year), a Sox title, Bears Superbowl Appearance, Bulls playoff wins and Hawks title, i say this is an easy question.

This is a Bears town, no doubt. I would actually say that the Hawks may be #2 over the bulls. This city loved its hockey until it felt betrayed by the owner putting all the games on pay tv some time back and then putting no money into the club. Seems that them getting good again let everyone get over that and fall back love with the hawks.

I think that the Cubs/Sox split makes it impossible for chicago to ever be a Cubs or Sox town. Doesnt matter that fans are probably split 60/40 in favor of the cubs (plus, id say at least 25% of the cubs 'fans' are there for the party and Wrigleyville atmosphere)

This is a Bears town, no doubt...

I think that the Cubs/Sox split makes it impossible for chicago to ever be a Cubs or Sox town. Doesnt matter that fans are probably split 60/40 in favor of the cubs (plus, id say at least 25% of the cubs 'fans' are there for the party and Wrigleyville atmosphere)

Okay, but would you say it's a "football" town or a "baseball" town. This isn't supposed to be about a specific team, although that will go hand in hand in most cities. In cases like this where there are multiple teams, it's slightly more complicated. If you combine the rabidness of the two fanbases, is Chicago still a football town, or a baseball town?

Okay, but would you say it's a "football" town or a "baseball" town. This isn't supposed to be about a specific team, although that will go hand in hand in most cities. In cases like this where there are multiple teams, it's slightly more complicated. If you combine the rabidness of the two fanbases, is Chicago still a football town, or a baseball town?

Valid point, but i think even combining Cubs/Sox its still a football town. Hell, they still cant stop talking about the 85 Bears. I actually wanted them to win it when they had a shot a couple years back just so they would shut up about a title team 25 years old.

Good point.

I would still say Football as an outsider. I think that Football appeals to more people in the city then baseball does. Football fans seem to be a little more die hard then baseball also.

Archived