Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I want to take a flyer on (The Alma Mater, UDFA, Man Crush Thread)

FredCoFinger

Hey ES, long time reader here, but though I might contribute with a post to the forum. I did click the search engine for a UDFA, my favorite school's best player thread, but either I did not search right or something, and nothing came up.

I thought this would be a good time, after the combines and as the Pro Days are winding down, to start our inevitable Alma Mater merge thread. I have a couple guys from WVU that I would like us to take a look at (such as Jarret Brown if we take all lineman early in the draft) but There is one kid in particular that I HOPE we take a flyer on in the 7th or sign him quickly, but theres only one problem, he never played D-1 or anything college football outside of his 1 year at JUCO.

Terence Kerns RB

7630_148669071996_523871996_3190050_4445277_n.jpg

Call me a homer, but anyone from the Frederick Area in MD knows about this kid. At his pro day at Villanova yesterday he ran at 244 lbs a 4.5 40 running into a mighty wind, wet fields (sorry if Joe Haden gets that treatment so does TK), and 48 degrees, not exactly the best conditions.

Here is the rest of his story of his Pro Day

"After his workout Wednesday, Kerns hopes an NFL team will contact him and schedule a pre-draft workout. He's trying to be one of the few football players to make it to the NFL without going through the development process that occurs during a college career.

Kerns thinks he has a shot at getting picked in the sixth or seventh round of next month's NFL draft or, as a worst-case scenario, getting invited to an NFL camp as a free agent.

NFL draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. even requested a copy of the numbers Kerns put up at Villanova's pro day"

"When you get a guy that size moving at that kind of speed, someone's going to pull the trigger on him," Yarborough said.

When he ran the 40, scouts paid particular attention to the first 10 yards. NFL running backs need that initial burst.

"The Eagles scout really liked my first 10 yards," Kerns said. "They want to see if you can blast out of the backfield."

Kerns said he thinks NFL scouts will realize he could run even faster if he gets in camp and trims down or runs indoors. He's projected as a tailback, albeit one with strength and power.

Here were Kerns' other numbers at Wednesday's pro day: vertical--35 1/2 feet; 225-pound bench press--29 reps; broad jump--9 feet, 6 inches; shuttle--4.4; 60-yard shuttle--12.0

Now with all the freakish measurables, there does come some history, and reasons why he did not stay at WVU his entire tenure.

Here is a good story on the baggage that might come along with him.

"Kerns, a 2007 Thomas Johnson graduate and West Virginia recruit who is coming off his freshman season at Lackawanna College, decided to forgo the remainder of his college football eligibility so he could try to play in the NFL.

After signing with agent, he is in the process of preparing for a pro day at Villanova next Wednesday. Kerns is hoping to be one of the few athletes who make the NFL without playing at a four-year school. He decided college wasn't for him.

After academic problems derailed his career at West Virginia, where he signed after attending Hargrave Military Academy, Kerns transferred to Lackawanna with plans to eventually return to the Mountaineers"

While at WVU he did have reports of a fumbling problem in practice (most agressive style RB's do have tht problem....Adrian Peterson for example...not comparing him to AP

), he also carried the moniker of being "too muscle bound and tightly would" from Coach Beatty.

All around a Yes Sir, No Sir mentality through and through. Terence is an extremely coachable young man and one that I think has a serious shot WITH A GOOD COACH to make it.

Anyways guys this is my first post here I hope you enjoyed it, POST YOUR ALMA MATER AND "I REALLY WANT THIS GUY" posts here, so your Terence Kerns, Case Keenum, Dexter McCluster, Mike Iupati thread does not clog the forum.

~Finger

:dallasuck:eaglesuck:gaintsuck

Mine would be Sean Lee of Penn State. Stout inside linebacker, was a 1st/2nd round prospect two years ago but tore his ACL his junior year. Came back almost as productive his senior year, but he's a 3rd/4th round prospect now because teams are scared of his knee.

Kid is solid and like almost every linebacker from PSU, is technically sound. He may not be fast enough to get to every tackle, but he will wrap up and bring people down when he does, he doesn't miss.

If we can get him in the 4th, it's a steal, but I don't know if he lasts that long. Either way, he's the best prospect coming out from PSU that doesn't carry a little baggage with them. (Bowman, Odrick)

I always have to pick a Canadian kid for my "take a flyer on _______".

Last year was Vaughn Martion who was a 4th round pick.

This year, if scouts had an eye on Canadian Prospects that maybe heard about LB Cory Greenwood. Dude can play special teams and underdogs usually fight their heart out for a roster spot.

Here's a briefing of him...........

http://www.gbnreport.com/sleeperfile.html

1. Cory Greenwood, LB, Concordia (Canada); 6-2, 236; 4.50 … Canadian universities have never been particularly fertile grounds for NFL teams looking for pro prospects, however, that may be changing ever so slowly.

Last year, for example, former Western Ontario DT Vaughn Martin was a surprise 4th round pick by San Diego, while Bishop’s RB Jamall Lee also drew some interest and eventually signed as a free agent with Carolina. And earlier this month, the CIS got some attention from the NFL when Bishop’s WR Steven Turner blitzed a 4.31 40 clocking at the CFL’s draft evaluation camp. While some NFL teams could be attracted by Turner’s speed, he’s actually not all polished a receiver; in fact, the best prospect in Canadian college football this year is Concordia LB Cory Greenwood.

Greenwood, the CIS defensive player of the year is a 6-2, 236-pound specimen who is an outstanding athlete. Indeed, Greenwood put up numbers at the CFL camp that would have put him among the top LBs at the combine. Greenwood, for example, ran a 4.50 40 which would have been the fastest time among players at the position; he also clocked a 4.22 short shuttle, which would have been the second best time among LBs at the combine, while posting a 40-inch vertical leap which also would have been #2 at the combine. For good measure, Greenwood also managed a more than adequate 24 reps in the bench press.

While he is a workout warrior who is also known for the time he spends in the film room, Greenwood is a tough, physical player with sideline-to-sideline range and decent instincts in coverage. Overall, Greenwood had 72 tackles in 2009nwood, including a couple of sacks and three other tackles for loss in the short Canadian college 8-game schedule. Greenwood also held up reasnably well as one of the two Canadians invited to this year's Shrine game.

The issue though for Greenwood is that while he is a good athlete, he is very raw and will clearly need some developmental time to make it at the next level. There is also a question whether he is better suited to play inside or outside. Greenwood has mostly played ILB in Canada, but may be atd undersized for that slot in the NFL, while he is not necessarily a natural pass rusher off the edge.

Ummm well let me pick one of each category...

Alma-Mater/Current: Jason Fox, T - UMiami (Coincidentally, Walterfootball mocks him to us in the 4th)

Washington Redskins: Jason Fox, OT, Miami

The Redskins are desperate for tackle help. They have nothing on the blind side, as Jason Campbell was often pressured before he could even complete a 3-step drop.

Jason Fox is really talented and would be an early second-round prospect if it weren't for his injury concerns.

UDFA: LaMarcus Coker, RB - Hampton

Man Crush: LeGarrette Blount, RB - Oregon

Edit: That mock also has us taking Clausen at 4, which I don't think will happen. I don't see how Detroit passes on Suh/McCoy to take Okung from us. Especially not after Swartz was talking up Backus. There is no reason for him to create a smokescreen... there's no way we would trade up 2 spots for Okung. Anyway, I'd be great with Okung, Tebow, Fox. The two tackles would really shore up our line.

Homer late round pick/UDFA....

Cody Grimm

Love Cody Grimm but he's too small to draft.

Alma Mater (well current school) pick is Ed Wang:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/558727

02/16/2010 - PRO POTENTIAL: LT Ed Wang has the prototypical body for a left tackle in today's NFL and enough of a mean streak to play the position. The one thing he has to do is cut down on penalties, which plagued him at times as a senior.

01/25/2010 - Senior Bowl, Monday: Virginia Tech left tackle Ed Wang is a fine athlete who showed very good footwork against Murray State's athletic 6-6, 270-pound defensive end, Austen Lane, in team drills. But Michigan's Brandon Graham exposed Wang's inconsistency anchoring against smaller, stronger ends who get their hands on his numbers and drive him back. Wang also had trouble keeping Graham from getting the corner against him in team work. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57226&draftyear=2010&genpos=OT

Draft Scout Snapshot: DS Rating on 9/1/09: #14 OT, #170/750 Overall, Projected Rd: 5-6

2009 Senior Bowl Invite…2008: Started every game at left tackle, seeing action on over 960 snaps … Earned the Team United Award as the offensive player who put the team first during spring practice. 2007: Suffered a broken fibula during the preseason and underwent surgery … Returned to practice in late September … Started several games at left tackle. 2006: Played tight end throughout the season … Practiced at tackle following an injury to Brandon Frye … Practiced solely at tackle in the spring. 2005: Worked at tight end during a redshirt year his first season. Personal: Son of Robert and Nancy Wang … both were members of the Chinese Olympic team in the 1970's.

http://pit.scout.com/2/956639.html

Ed Wang Blocking His Way into History Books

Virginia Tech product Ed Wang has the build and bloodlines to be a successful offensive lineman at the next level. After wrapping up his recent Pro Day, he is back to his grueling workout regiment and preparing to become the first Chinese player drafted into the NFL.

Ed Wang (6-foot-5, 314 pounds) was born to be an athlete. His parents were both members of the Chinese Olympic team in 1984 and he is proud to carry on the family tradition. Approximately one month from now, he figures to become the first Chinese player to hear his name called in the NFL Draft.

Wang, nicknamed "Godzilla," put himself into this position with a stellar career at Virginia Tech. He started more than 30 straight games for the Hokies and emerged as one of the premier offensive linemen in the ACC.

His stock arrow continues to point upward thanks to a strong offseason. He displayed quick feet at the Senior Bowl; he posted 29 reps on the bench press at the Combine (in the top-10 among offensive linemen); and he performed well in positional drills at his Pro Day on Thursday, March 18.

"[My Pro Day] went very well," he said. "It was nice to be back in Blacksburg and around my teammates again. It was like a mini Combine at the school -- it was nice to share that experience with everybody."

Wang, a former tight end, attracts teams because of his versatility. He has talked with scouts about playing everywhere on the line -- some even see him as a center -- and has no clue where he might line up in 2010.

Also to be determined is which line-up he will join. He says the Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles have shown the most interest in him during the offseason, although he met with almost every team at one point or another.

He met the offensive line coaches from all 32 teams at the Combine.

"I think the Steelers were the only ones who brought coaches [to Pro Day]," he said. "I talked to them for a little bit. All the other teams just brought scouts, I believe, but I'm not positive."

With the draft less than a month away, Wang will continue working out four or five times per week. He does not have any team visits or workouts scheduled as of now, but he feels well prepared if given the opportunity.

Wang is projected as a fourth- or fifth-round selection.

There aren't that many great guys coming out of FSU this year to talk about.

I think Patrick Robinson could be a solid starting corner in the NFL, but he'll probably be a late 1st/2nd round pick, and I don't think we should take a corner that high in this draft.

I like Myron Rolle a lot as a 3rd safety to rotate in and out, but we have a handful of good safeties as it is.

Dekoda Watson is an athletic freak at LB and would make for a good pass rushing LB, maybe in the 4th or 5th round, but I like Chris Wilson a lot in that current role as well.

Next year FSU will have some pretty solid players coming out who might be able to benefit the Redskins (Christian Ponder, Rodney Hudson, Nigel Bradham), but this year it's not a very strong draft class.

1. Russel Okung LT Oklahomas State- Left Tackle for 10 plus years

w280.jpg

2. Vlad DuCasse LT UMass- Right Tackle for 10 plus years

539w.jpg

4. Jarret Brown QB THE West Virginia University- Hey...we have Jason and Rex:pfft: he can wait in the wings...all the physical tools in the world.

Jarrett-Brown-229x300.jpg

5. Javier Arenas CB Alabama- I think he will slide....possibly to the 4th maybe (a guy can dream cant he?) because of his size

bilde.jpeg

7. Terence Kerns RB Gov. Thomas Johnson High- The kid is a beast in every way shape or form, just give him a chance Shanny!

Terence%2BKerns.jpg

I played against him in high school.

We held him down pretty good in the first quarter. But then he just gashed us up pretty bad. The running clock was on the by the middle of the third quarter

I don't remember him being that big though, he must have really hit the weights hard.

He was very very good.

Jason Worilds, OLB/DE, Virginia Tech - Projected Round: 3/4

x_MSC6422.jpg

Overview

Jason Worilds came into his own during 2008 when he became a full-time starter, tallying 62 tackles including 18.5 for loss. He had 8 QB sacks as well. His 2009 season wasn't nearly as productive with only 49 tackles and 11 TFL (4.5 sacks), but he received increased attention and played with a nagging shoulder injury. Worilds had another year of eligibility remaining (took a medical redshirt in 2006), but chose to enter the draft early.

Strengths

Worilds is a very explosive player, with outstanding get-off at the snap. He has surprising strength and power at the point of attack and adds a variety of effective pass-rush moves (swim, spin, club). Hard-working player who will pursue a play from behind and doesn't give up. As an edge rusher, he can flatten out and gain the edge even against long-armed and quick-footed tackles. Worilds is a sure tackler and changes direction very well for a man his size.

Weaknesses

Undersized to continue at the DE position... may be better suited to move to OLB in a 30 front defense. Doesn't have much experience dropping into coverage, which would be necessary with a move to the second level. Despite his strength, he gets pushed around too much at the college level. Has an injury history to be aware of now.

provided by: http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=4661

Archived