Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serving tables at a restaurant

WVUforREDSKINS

I got two job offers to serve tables at different restaurants. Either Ramano's Macoroni Grill or UNO's Chicago bar and grill. Which gives me the best chance of making more money? It seems that Macaroni grill is more upscale and UNO's is like a chili's/fridays type place.

I don't know which one to take because I have never served tables before in my life. I am only planning on doing this for a couple months, then I plan to leave the country and live in Australia for up to a year. It is something I have always wanted to do, live in another country. So basically, rather than try and start a career I am trying to extend my youth and put off real work for as long as I can. I am just looking to make the most amount of money, in the shortest period of time and I am not sure which of the two places I have a better chance at reaching my goal (about 3K) faster.

Are these the ones in Kingstowne that are right next to each other?

Yep

choose the one that serves more alcohol.

oh, and New Zealand > Australia :silly:

You know Ren, there is a visa I can apply for that gives me a a few months in each country...I might do that. I'm all about some jet boating since I saw your pics. I'm a thrill seeker and New Zealand seems like Paradise, but I would love to live on the Great Barrier reef. Carins, Aus.

This is the impression I get. Plus at Macoroni they serve lots of wine.

But how do you know about it being less work or are you just guessing?

At Fridays, the servers bring everything to the tables, drinks food, etc etc

At Macaroni Grill, other people bring the appetizers and food out, at least thats the way it used to be, havent been since the Arlington location was closed down. But we have a (edit: Carrabas i meant) by us now, yumm, slight upgrade over MG IMO :)

Both are on the same level and will probably make you the same amount of money. I personally will tell you to go with MG because they are part of a bigger company and could lead to something bigger (I know - Your moving. I started off as a waiter to waste time before I traveled across country. Which I did. Then came back, waited tables, became a manager, went to work for the POS company that we used, Went to work for a national restaurant chain, and became head of a IT department in a national restaurant company)

All from waiting tables....

BTW - The quick answer -Which ever restaurant that can give you better shifts. Friday and Saturday night - Long hours, great money. Saturday day - NO money.

Macaroni probably brings in bigger checks, which leads to bigger tips, but remember, your tips are only as good as your service to customers.

Also, keep in mind that different restaurants tend to give you more or less tables at once (normally, the better the restaurant, the less tables you will get at one time). For example, servers at Olive Garden normally get 3-4 tables MAX at one time--no matter how good you are. On the other hand, if you worked at Chili's, and were a competent waiter, you could get 6 or 7 tables. You'd run your ass off, but time would fly by and at night's end you would have made double or even triple the money you'd make at Olive Garden in any given night.

That said, Macaroni is probably a good start and that would be my choice, too. I'd imagine they'd train their servers very well there.

If I were you, honestly... I'd go into Macaroni Grill on Friday night just to eat... On Saturday go to Uno's... See how everything is running when they're busy... Observe the servers... Are they constantly running around to tables? Are they standing there just chatting?

If you want to make money, the ~$15/check isn't the most important part... I'm pretty sure that your macaroni grill is going to have a wait on Friday/Saturday for a good portion of the night... Uno's, well I don't know, the one around me closed about a year ago... Go to the place where you can be yourself more...

Speaking from experience... I worked at Cracker Barrel for a year and a half... I was a good server, but didn't get awesome tips because it's hard for me to entertain old people... I worked at a fine dining restaurant ($25-36 just for dinner entrees)... It didn't work out for me because management was playing favorites, I suck at sucking up to mgmt... then I went to the place I am at now... It's a hell of a lot cheaper to eat there ($9-10/person including soft drink), but damnit, I can entertain the crap out of the 18-40 age group... I make more money at my current job than at the fine dining place because people tend to tip better when they know the server is being "real"...

Just figure out which place would be more "you"... For me, I can't work in a corporate environment because they can't adapt to their locales... They have too many stupid rules and regs... But you might be able to do it with ease...

So what is Orientation?

I'll be there for a while.

orientation you come in and get the basics, do the paperwork, start meeting people.

and i just saw you say it'll only be for a couple months..

i will tell you that it's a rather tedious training process... you have to go to 4 different classes (all in house) as well as take food knowledge, restaraunt knowlidge, drink knowledge, ticket writing knowledge, and abreviations tests... as well as certify with the server manager, all before you can get your own shifts... The tests arent hard but there is some studying you have to do to have the information down.

i will tell you that it's a rather tedious training process... you have to go to 4 different classes (all in house) as well as take food knowledge, restaraunt knowlidge, drink knowledge, ticket writing knowledge, and abreviations tests... as well as certify with the server manager, all before you can get your own shifts... The tests arent hard but there is some studying you have to do to have the information down.

Not a problem.

Im just curious as to how the atmosphere is there?

Na it'll be for at least 4 or 5 months.

How long have you been there? Do you like? Last I talked to you, I think you were working on cars

I used to work there back in the day with "W" (not the president) but left and have since gone back... been back about a month now, and i like it, but i also have a lot of pull in there because i'm considered 'old school.' Obviously there are people who dont get along and what not, happens everywhere, but the money is out there to be made.

I was working on cars but the economy dropped so bad that i got laid off, and i now am working 2 jobs trying to keep my head afloat.

Archived