Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favre to Redskins Rumors Ring Hollow

kleese

www.edkleese.blogspot.com

First off, let's clarify that most of these "rumors" being thrown around about where Brett Favre will eventually land are hardly rumors at all. They are mostly pure speculation: fans and writers scouring NFL rosters, projecting where he may be a good fit. To date, there appears to be no hard evidence linking Favre to anything but his living room couch in Mississippi.

But it's mid-July, and that means there really isn't much to talk about in sports these days. So, we might as well squeeze every last ounce out of the Favre speculation as we can.

One interesting note in all of this madness is the media's relationship with Favre. Normally, the media is accused of dissecting and tearing down people in the limelight, especially in sports. But in Favre's case, I think we're seeing the opposite application. The media seems to be hearkening back to the 1950's when they coddled and protected star athletes and entertainers. Favre has always been romanticized-- and in many cases, rightfully so. He certainly has the overall statistical chops, and he has clearly endeared himself to throngs of NFL with his boyish approach to the game and wild enthusiasm and toughness.

However, a few things get overlooked amidst all the romance.

Since Favre last led the Packers to the Super Bowl in 1997, Green Bay has played in 9 playoff games.

His record in those games is 3-6. He has thrown 14 touchdowns passes against 18 interceptions. That record also includes the only three playoff losses in the history of Lambeau Field. And two of those interceptions have been of the back-breaking variety. In 2004, the Packers had the Eagles on the ropes, but Favre uncorked an inexplicably bad pass that was hauled in by Eagles safety Brian Dawkins. Philly stole the momentum and the win. Then, of course, we have Favre's overtime interception against the Giants in the NFC Championship Game last January. These are plays that are supposed to be made by young QB's learning the ropes, not chiseled veterans approaching the sunset of their careers.

Even if you are like me, and find Favre to be overrated historically in the pantheon of NFL QB's, no one can deny his overall contribution to the game and his rightful place in Canton. And his status as the most beloved Packer of all-time is well deserved.

But NFL teams should not be blinded by his legacy. They should instead focus on the reality.

As a Redskins fan, I for one, am fundamentally opposed to Brett Favre joining my team. There is no doubt that Favre would generate some excitement, and of course, I'd be intruiged to see him in the burgundy and gold. But at this point in his career, he is simply not worth the investment. Teams like the Redskins, who have a young QB (Jason Campbell) waiting to blossom would be better served to see what they have on their hands, rather than rolling the dice with Favre in his last hurrah. Yes, it's possible that Favre could lead a team like Washington to an extra victory or two that Campbell would not, but there is no evidence (based on the above statistics) to show that Favre is likely to lead a team through the playoffs and onto the Super Bowl.

A team like Minnesota makes some sense. They have a solid roster, but an absolute void at QB. There would be little risk in acquiring Favre-- he could only make them better and they would not be risking damaging a young prospects career. But Favre joining an NFC North team seems ridiculously unlikely, and there are few other teams that meet the general criteria for a good fit.

That leaves the Packers in a real tight spot. They have geared their entire off-season towards preparing Aaron Rodgers to take over the team. If Favre returns, they will risk alienating Rodgers to the point of no return and/or putting so much pressure on him that they could crush his chances of success.

Here's the bottom line: If Brett Favre really wants to play football in 2008, he will be on a roster somewhere. It appears the bridges leading back to Green Bay have burned, which can only result in Favre wearing a different jersey next season. Count me as one fan hoping that jersey is purple.

www.edkleese.blogspot.com

First off, let's clarify that most of these "rumors" being thrown around about where Brett Favre will eventually land are hardly rumors at all. They are mostly pure speculation: fans and writers scouring NFL rosters, projecting where he may be a good fit. To date, there appears to be no hard evidence linking Favre to anything but his living room couch in Mississippi.

But it's mid-July, and that means there really isn't much to talk about in sports these days. So, we might as well squeeze every last ounce out of the Favre speculation as we can.

One interesting note in all of this madness is the media's relationship with Favre. Normally, the media is accused of dissecting and tearing down people in the limelight, especially in sports. But in Favre's case, I think we're seeing the opposite application. The media seems to be hearkening back to the 1950's when they coddled and protected star athletes and entertainers. Favre has always been romanticized-- and in many cases, rightfully so. He certainly has the overall statistical chops, and he has clearly endeared himself to throngs of NFL with his boyish approach to the game and wild enthusiasm and toughness.

However, a few things get overlooked amidst all the romance.

Since Favre last led the Packers to the Super Bowl in 1997, Green Bay has played in 9 playoff games.

His record in those games is 3-6. He has thrown 14 touchdowns passes against 18 interceptions. That record also includes the only three playoff losses in the history of Lambeau Field. And two of those interceptions have been of the back-breaking variety. In 2004, the Packers had the Eagles on the ropes, but Favre uncorked an inexplicably bad pass that was hauled in by Eagles safety Brian Dawkins. Philly stole the momentum and the win. Then, of course, we have Favre's overtime interception against the Giants in the NFC Championship Game last January. These are plays that are supposed to be made by young QB's learning the ropes, not chiseled veterans approaching the sunset of their careers.

Even if you are like me, and find Favre to be overrated historically in the pantheon of NFL QB's, no one can deny his overall contribution to the game and his rightful place in Canton. And his status as the most beloved Packer of all-time is well deserved.

But NFL teams should not be blinded by his legacy. They should instead focus on the reality.

As a Redskins fan, I for one, am fundamentally opposed to Brett Favre joining my team. There is no doubt that Favre would generate some excitement, and of course, I'd be intruiged to see him in the burgundy and gold. But at this point in his career, he is simply not worth the investment. Teams like the Redskins, who have a young QB (Jason Campbell) waiting to blossom would be better served to see what they have on their hands, rather than rolling the dice with Favre in his last hurrah. Yes, it's possible that Favre could lead a team like Washington to an extra victory or two that Campbell would not, but there is no evidence (based on the above statistics) to show that Favre is likely to lead a team through the playoffs and onto the Super Bowl.

A team like Minnesota makes some sense. They have a solid roster, but an absolute void at QB. There would be little risk in acquiring Favre-- he could only make them better and they would not be risking damaging a young prospects career. But Favre joining an NFC North team seems ridiculously unlikely, and there are few other teams that meet the general criteria for a good fit.

That leaves the Packers in a real tight spot. They have geared their entire off-season towards preparing Aaron Rodgers to take over the team. If Favre returns, they will risk alienating Rodgers to the point of no return and/or putting so much pressure on him that they could crush his chances of success.

Here's the bottom line: If Brett Favre really wants to play football in 2008, he will be on a roster somewhere. It appears the bridges leading back to Green Bay have burned, which can only result in Favre wearing a different jersey next season. Count me as one fan hoping that jersey is purple.

:notworthy :applause: :cheers:

Finally someone with some football "common sense"!!!!

All hail Cleese

All you maroons and your Favre threads should read this.

I didn't see an argument against Favre there.

Total Super Bowl Wins of Current Redskins QBs: 0

Total Playoff Wins of Current Redskins QBs: 0

Total Super Bowl Wins of Brett Favre: 1

GB Playoff Games Since 1997: 9

WAS Playoff Games Since 1997: 4

This is your argument against Favre? I don't get it.

First off, great piece, as always

Now for the correction. :)

That Eagles game was on the road. That was the 4th & 26 game.

The home losses were to Atlanta (Vick ran all over the Packers), Minnesota (the Randy Moss moon game), and the Giants.....

:notworthy :applause: :cheers:

Finally someone with some football "common sense"!!!!

Common sense yes. Business sense no. If Snyder wants to make an extra buck in a very tight economy right now he will do what he thinks will sell (cha-ching redskins store.com).

I have said it before and I will say it again. JC is not a sure bet either. But with the camp starting in a few days, getting Brett (which they can't anyways right now) is a little bit too late.

First off, great piece, as always

Now for the correction. :)

That Eagles game was on the road. That was the 4th & 26 game.

The home losses were to Atlanta (Vick ran all over the Packers), Minnesota (the Randy Moss moon game), and the Giants.....

I wasn't including the Eagles game as one of the losses....I was saying he had three home losses AND a terrible INT in the Eagles game. I guess I kind of jammed all that together :)

I didn't see an argument against Favre there.

Total Super Bowl Wins of Current Redskins QBs: 0

Total Playoff Wins of Current Redskins QBs: 0

Total Super Bowl Wins of Brett Favre: 1

GB Playoff Games Since 1997: 9

WAS Playoff Games Since 1997: 4

This is your argument against Favre? I don't get it.

My point is that he's not coming, and shouldn't come.

This is the first thread that hasn't either been a moronic "Bring Favre to DC" thread or one just poking fun at those threads.

Brett Favre is great, but he's not going to be a Redskin.

I wasn't including the Eagles game as one of the losses....I was saying he had three home losses AND a terrible INT in the Eagles game. I guess I kind of jammed all that together :)

Very good then. My comments are withdrawn....

You didn't mention the six INT Rams game. That game somehow managed to escape everybodys mind. You hardly ever hear anyone talk about it. One of the worst performances ever.

Common sense yes. Business sense no. If Snyder wants to make an extra buck in a very tight economy right now he will do what he thinks will sell (cha-ching redskins store.com).

I have said it before and I will say it again. JC is not a sure bet either. But with the camp starting in a few days, getting Brett (which they can't anyways right now) is a little bit too late.

:(

They should change the title to:

"Getting Favre would improve the Skins chance of getting to the playoffs and losing, while overspending for an over-the hill veteran who will most likely spend only one year in DC and damaging the future of their current QB, from quite-bad to not-good."

You're assuming getting Brett Favre would win us a Super Bowl, which is a dumb assumption. I love Brett but he's old, he's not a great playoff QB and getting him is more of the "win now, forget the future" mindset that has made Snyder such a bad owner.

Just say NO to Brett.

PLEASE MODS...MERGE ALL FAVRE THREADS!!! This thread could have been easily posted under one of the other hundred threads about Favre.

Thank you Mods for NOT merging this thread as of yet. It was great to not have to read through 25 posts of why Farve is coming and 100 well argued posts, and a 1000 posts saying stop the Farve threads, merge, and all those really annoying posts to read one great post.

Appreciate it.

I would much rather see a limit on the Merge this, useless posts per thread then the censorship of ideas and thoughts. JMHO

Those are much much more annoying then a repeat thread.

PLEASE MODS...MERGE ALL FAVRE THREADS!!! This thread could have been easily posted under one of the other hundred threads about Favre.

You're new here, so hush & learn. :)

Kleese has given us a well thoughtout & well written post here. We actually <GASP> encourage those types of things. Believe it or not, we do know what we're doing here. :)

Archived