Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A philosophical question for you

SUSkinsFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

You are on vacation in Africa and are walking through the jungle when you stumble across an African warlord. The warlord has 10 people tied to trees and is about to execute them. The warlord gives you an option of simply walking away and he executes all 10 people, or if you shoot one of the people he will let the other 9 go. Do you pull the trigger? Regardless of what you choose, you do not get killed.

Also, can't shoot the warlord because he has some of his bodyguards with him so if you do shoot him you (and the 10 people) also wind up getting shot.

This question was posed to my class last semester and I wonder what people here have to say.

I would take the gun and take the warlord hostage then demand the prisoners be freed.

lol

ok seriously though, its about your conscience and if you can bear to know YOU killed an innocent person. I think I would save the nine other people though. I mean you do save 9 people. You would still feel terrible knowing you let them all die.

Edit: damn you spjunkies... beat me :mad:

I'd shoot the oldest of the captives.

I figure that person has lived the longest (and presumably fullest) life to that point.

My conscience hopefully would accept the fact that a life had to be lost for others to be saved. (Isn't war based on precisely the same concept?)

I'd shoot the oldest of the captives.

I figure that person has lived the longest (and presumably fullest) life to that point.

My conscience hopefully would accept the fact that a life had to be lost for others to be saved. (Isn't war based on precisely the same concept?)

My thoughts exactly.

Based on the information given, I would have to say I would probably walk away. I don't know if the 10 has done anything to warrant death. Did they get caught raping and pillaging a village? Or are they innocent of any crimes and the warlord is being evil?

If they are guilty of crimes that warrant killing, then I would not do anything and walk on. If they are innocent of any crimes, then I would do as others have stated and probably take the life of one in order to save the lives of many.

I guess it's time for me to give my answer. I said in class that I couldn't do it because that is not something that I could live with on my conscience.

but if you walk away you're letting TEN people die, that will be on your conscience too.

I'd ask the people if there were any volunteers to die for the other 9 people. Someone may just volunteer their life. I'd kill him. If not, I'd shoot whoever looked shadiest. I'd also ask the people what THEY wanted me to do. They may tell me to go ahead and leave and let them die. If that's what they wanted, I'd do that.

Archived