Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The death of a family matriarch

rdsknbill

My wife and I are packing up the car to head to Jamestown NY, for the funeral of my grandmother. She lived to ripe old age of 96. Hell, she was still skiing at the age of 80. She never slowed down until her old age just caught up with her.

A few pictures of her. (first one is my dad and my uncle on their front porch)

Couple of her at our wedding (Dig the hair on my buddy Mike :laugh: )

God Bless Grandma Lil

All of the grandkids were aksed to add sometning to the eulogy

This is what I wrote

Bill

Where to begin. The day that I was “learning” how to ski at Moon Brook Country Club out on the golf course. Dressed up like the Michelin man and Grandma Lil and Dad saying. “Ok, now just go with the hill”. Hmm, Go with the hill at age 4? OK let’s do this. 30 feet later I’m laying in the show wondering what happened she looked down on me and said “Wow you are a natural”

Grandma always kept this calm aura around her. She was the one that kept her fiery Irish husband on an even keel and was always the apple of his eye. To watch the two of them interact was truly special. Here was this proud Irish “I don’t take guff from anybody” sort of man that would turn into a puddle of mush when Grandma Lil would step in to the discussion. It was rather comical that such a loving artistically talented woman could have such a profound effect on the people around her.

The times in Vermont were probably my favorite memories. Bringing home trout with Grandpa Harry and seeing the look on her face as we came up the trail. Her husband and her youngest grandson quietly chatting on their way back to the house. That look is something that I will never forget.

She lived a long and beautiful life. Now she is finally home. God bless you Grandma, We love you.

Archived