Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sept. 22: London Fletcher

Art

Fletcher really came up on this. Most interactive and engaged chat of the season. Thanks London.

SonOfWashington

Hey London,

How did you feel when you found out you were coming to Washington?

London Fletcher

(Laugh) I was ecstatic, man. You know the Washington Redskins is one of the great franchises in the National Football League. It has great tradition. They have a great fan base. When it was official about me signing with the Redskins, I was probably more excited than they were (big laugh).

Staylorfan021

Hey London,

Redskins have a lot of young talent on defense with Rocky, Sean, LaRon, Carlos, Montgomery, and Golston...could you see this being a great defense for years to come?

Thanks London, and have a great year!

London Fletcher

I think it really could be. You’ve got a lot of great young talent on this defense. If guys can somehow stay together I think the sky’s the limit for that group. These guys, first of all, are very talented and want to get better. They work hard. I think with experience they are only going to get better in the future.

the burgundy and gold

London, whats main difference of playing with the redskins rather than the other teams you have played for?

London Fletcher

(Sly little laugh) Well, this year, as opposed to last year, I feel it’s maybe deeper talent wise. As opposed to when I was in Buffalo last year (compared) to this year, I think we have more depth from a talent standpoint. And St. Louis (someone is messing with him and he busts out laughing) that was the greatest show on turf. We ended up winning the Super Bowl. I think from a defensive standpoint we’re as talented or more talented than that St. Louis defense was that won that championship.

praise_gibbs

I am excited to hear that you stepped up and became that vocal leader that apparently was missing from our Washington Redskins. Thank you sir, though I can only speak for myself, I think it would be safe to say that all of us [Redskins fans] share in the same gratitude. Thank You.

My question, if you don't mind, is this: Was that speech planned or did you just take initiative, spur of the moment if you will, and say what obviously needed to be said?

London Fletcher

Well, I think we have some guys that are vocal leaders on this team and guys that lead by example. I just decided to say something. It wasn’t anything planned. I was really just talking and it ended up being a little bit more (starting to laugh a little remembering) than I initially thought it would be. I think it got a little bit more intense than I thought it would be. But it was just something that happened. We’ve got other guys that will say stuff and are also vocal guys on the team.

SkinsOrlando

London,

You went to college at John Carroll University(beauitful campus), why did you decide to go there?

London Fletcher

Initially coming out of high school I went to St. Francis up in Pennsylvania on a Division I basketball scholarship. I ended up having some things going on at home where I needed to get back home and the opportunity was there for me to go to John Carroll because my head basketball coach in high school was now the head basketball coach at John Carroll and my head football coach in high school was the defensive coordinator at John Carroll. So it was just a great fit for me. It was 15 minutes from home. Great academic institution. I didn’t have to sit out because when you go from a Division I to a Division III you can play right away. So everything just seemed right. Good fit, good place for me.

Huly

Most important question we have. You’ve never answered it. Gas or charcoal?

London Fletcher

(Small laugh) You’d have to ask my wife (BIG LAUGH). My wife would get a good kick out of that. (Highly amused at the question) I’m not a griller. I’ll take it any way somebody else prepares it. (Still chuckling. Most fun answer ever for this question).

dizzinator53

London,

Your name is sick... I think you need to come up with a saying about it or something! Why do you think you are always the league leader in tackles? Are you in the right position or do they forget to block you? You're sick, p.s.

London Fletcher

(Still laughing) I think the name obviously comes from my father and my great grandfather. They’re both named London. As far as me being in the right place at the right time or somebody forgets to block me, I think its more scheme and guys doing their jobs. It takes 11 guys to work together and that’s been what’s happening.

The_cavalierman

Hey London,

Are their two different defensive calls in the huddle? One for the front seven and a separate one for the secondary or just one call that you handle?

London Fletcher

There’s a front part of it where you have to get the defensive linemen set up in the front and there’s also the coverage part of it. I guess it’s kind of two calls in one if you look at it technically speaking.

Tastes Like Chicken

Hi Mr. Fletcher,

Thank you for coming on-board as the leader and playmaker that this team needs.

I got your autograph for my son at training camp. You made sure to sign for kids first, and I really respect that. Tell us about your family, and their transition with your move to the Skins' franchise.

London Fletcher

I have a wife and a newborn daughter. It’s been great for my family, us being here in the Washington D.C. area. We love it up here. It’s a great place to play football. A great place to live. We’re just happy about being here.

4skins23

London,

Great to have you on the team. My question is; do you have a nickname on the field? If so what is it?

London Fletcher

(Sly laugh. He’s holding out I think) Not really, you know. Back when I was in St. Louis I had a little nickname. Since then I don’t have one now.

zoony

Tell us something about yourself that most people don't know.

London Fletcher

(Long pause, thinking) That’s why most people don’t know (big laugh). We got a couple guys listening (laughing). I guess most people don’t know I like to read. I read a lot. That’s probably something that most people don’t know. I read a lot.

Sweet Sassy Molassy

London thanks for your intensity on the field. Every time I look up you're making a play somewhere on the field.

My question is, with the big win in Philly, the team at 2-0 how do you keep a level head and keep from getting overconfident playing an 0-2 NY Giants in FedEx?

London Fletcher

I think everybody knows week to week opponents in the National Football League are going to give you their best. You can’t get caught up in records. When the ball is snapped, when you step between those lines, nobody cares what each other’s record is. It’s a big rivalry between the Giants and the Redskins. Last year they swept us. I don’t think we’ll have any problem staying focused and motivated for this game.

Aston

Be honest. Who would win in a arm wrestling match between you and Mike Sellers?

London Fletcher

Ha ha. Probably Mike Sellers. He stays in that weight room. He’s a pretty strong guy.

borninblood

If you could be any Super Hero who would it be? Why?

London Fletcher

Maybe Superman I guess (laughing). Superman sounds like a good guy to be. You can mingle with people. You get to be somebody else. I can be Clark Kent for a while, then change and become Superman and fly and have super powers and things like that. Stop speeding bullets, or faster than speeding bullets, things like that (laughing). I guess Superman.

Closing statement

London Fletcher

I’d just like thank Redskins fans for all the support they have for this team. It makes a difference, especially when we play in FedEx field. That energy that the crowd brings to us, I mean, we feed off of that. I just encourage you all to come to the games and continue to support us. Let’s have some fun each and every week.

zoony

Tell us something about yourself that most people don't know.

Quote:

(Long pause, thinking) That’s why most people don’t know (big laugh). We got a couple guys listening (laughing). I guess most people don’t know I like to read. I read a lot. That’s probably something that most people don’t know. I read a lot.

I wonder if he read General Patten's book too :)

Great read had me smiling the whole way through.

These guys do appreciate our help. This is what we have to bring every time we're at home! BE REAL LOUD!!!

London Fletcher

Quote:

I’d just like thank Redskins fans for all the support they have for this team. It makes a difference, especially when we play in FedEx field. That energy that the crowd brings to us, I mean, we feed off of that. I just encourage you all to come to the games and continue to support us. Let’s have some fun each and every week.

HTTR!!!

Initially coming out of high school I went to St. Francis up in Pennsylvania on a Division I basketball scholarship.
He's 5' 10"! :laugh:

Awesome chat, guy seems like he's a lot of fun. Player's respect him, fans love him, and the coaches rave about him. I'm starting to see why he was the first guy we grabbed in FA this year.

Archived