Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Making A Righteous Thread--Your Official "NNT" InfoCenter

Jumbo

Revisit #37 in a Collectors Series

Due to popular request, it's time to review the No New Threads designation again :)

SO...No New Threads is a setting a moderator may apply to your account if you violate any of the rules for properly formatting and posting a new thread in any ES forum. :)

Read this entire post carefully to learn about NNT, including how you "get out" of the NNT group.

Thank you :point2sky

Notice the "Mod Edited Title" (MET) threads lately? :yes:

Notice how your thread was posted in the wrong forum and then moved? :bow:

Notice how your thread was merged with an existing thread? :wtf:

Notice how your thread was closed? :twitch:

Kind of new yourself, but like to start new threads? :hump:

Know that your thoughts are thuper-thpecial and have just been waiting for the spotlight? :thumbsup:

Well, this just in: the board would like you to properly format your new thread. :)

It's even in the rules. :yikes: .

Trust us, there's just tons of lotsa good reasons for this. :cool:

We'll be enforcing :cop: our "new thread" rules by adding offenders to the No New Threads Club. :dunce:

If you have questions, please visit the forum rules page linked below (#8 and #9 are killer). ;)

http://www.extremeskins.com/announcement.php?f=24

While there, please feel free to familiarize yourself with all the forum rules as you agreed to do when we accepted your member registration. :deal:

READ ALL THE RULES ON POSTING A NEW THREAD IF YOU WISH TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DO SO :coach: :silly:

The most common ways to receive a No New Threads action is if your thread is posted in the wrong forum, or has an inaccurate or poorly constructed topic description for the title (like just some guys name ;), or is duplicating a topic being actively discussed in existing threads.

Always use search tools diligently and remember if all else fails to do a visual scan of the first two pages to make sure your topic isn't already an existing thread. All "but I searched" excuses are joyously ignored. If our house search tool seems to be in "fail" mode" (and you've tried typing in appropriate key word(s)), you can use ES-Google search:

http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=242434&highlight=search

To get out of the NNT group you must figure out which rule(s) you messed up and in which thread you started and PM a mod or send the staff an e-mail with the specific details of your goof(s) and your pledge to do better so we can know you have learned what your errors were and are less likely to repeat it (them). In case you're not able to figure that out without help, what you would do is click on your user profile page and note the links on the left under your user name and avatar--the last link there is "threads started.", then click on "find all started threads" and find which of the threads that you were last able to start and that would be when got you nailed with the NNT. Then go read the relevant rules and find your error(s). Then that's what you PM to the mods (or e-mail to staff). :D

Thank you so much for your time, ladies and gentleman. :helmet: :cheers: :party:

This thread is about titling threads correctly? I couldn't tell that from the title. ;)

This thread is about a warning of a new way of getting NNT'ed instead of just doing it without an announcement sticky. ;)

Wait 'till you see the thread about getting banned for popping into threads just to be a wise guy when a staff member is moderating the forum. :silly:

edit--still, you have persuaded me to reconsider my audience. :)

This thread is about a warning of a new way of getting NNT'ed instead of just doing it without an announcement sticky. ;)

Wait 'till you see the thread about getting banned for popping into threads just to be a wise guy when a staff member is moderating the forum. :silly:

Yikes. :movefast:

Aww c'mon Jumbo. You have to admit, there was some irony left out there just waiting to be exploited. I guess Dan just couldn't resist the softball.:)

I think I did. :)

Though I certainly wouldn't call it heavy irony. :cool:

We're not looking to play the heavy here, just trying again to improve the ES experience a bit in an area that's come to our attention lately. Titling a thread such that it gives others a good idea what the thread is about saves folks from clicking on discussions they have no interest in. It's a common courtesy thing.

It also helps avoid the duplicate thread problem ... often duplicate threads come about as a result of the existing thread having a title that is not descriptive enough to be obvious to someone scanning the first couple of pages to see if that particular thread idea is already ongoing.

Just hoping to 1) remind members who have been around a while to keep their own thread titles clear, and 2) give the newer members who may not realize this is an issue we try to keep a handle on around here a heads up.

Don't worry--we're not going nuclear on anyone. Just letting everyone know we're raising this issue again because it's been getting worse of late. If you should happen to get NNT'd, please just send a PM to a staff member and let us know you understand what it is we're trying to do and we'll reinstate you asap.

Unless we just don't like you of course. :)

The board would benefit from better titled threads, and we do have that rule.

Plus, people having to do visual searches have to work harder to avoid duplicating topics when thread titles don't reflect content clearly. Unfortunately, the problem of improperly titled threads has been increasing.

So starting Monday, and lasting for as long as it seems necessary, we will be enforcing rule #8 by adding offenders to the No New Threads club.

Please visit the forum rules page linked below and read #8 and #9 specifically if you have questions:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/announcement.php?f=24

While there, please feel free to familiarize yourself with all the forum rules as you agreed to do when we accepted your member registration. :)

Maybe if you take some of your NNT victims off of the list, you could be blessed with some wonderful titles supplied by none other then myself. Just a suggestion.

Maybe if you take some of your NNT victims off of the list, you could be blessed with some wonderful titles supplied by none other then myself. Just a suggestion.

1. There are no victims, just volunteers.

2. You're not on my list. ;)

3. I will do so anyway, but you best behave and deliver. :laugh:

You know I have been sending email to the Webmaster about my NNT status. :laugh:

Ok so I was new and happend to post 2 seconds slower then someone else and the second time it got merged and I was NNT.

I have always tried to make my titles relevent to the thread. I hope I can get my status back too. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

You know I have been sending email to the Webmaster about my NNT status. :laugh:

Ok so I was new and happend to post 2 seconds slower then someone else and the second time it got merged and I was NNT.

I have always tried to make my titles relevent to the thread. I hope I can get my status back too. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

You're so close---just a little less rationalizing/minimizing on the error and a little more "yeh, I see what I did--here it is (being specific) and I'll be more careful and watch for that in the future" (which has always been how you get out of NNT, and just PM that to a mod or e-mail it to staff). But what the hell, we'll call it good anyway now that I showed everyone how for the hundredth time :D and we'll see who's paying attention. :laugh:

This is a good thing and seems to be a necessary, pro-active course of action considering the 'real' season is oh so close and the speculation surrounded pre-season (roster, etc) will undoubtedly be rampant. I don't bring anything special to this board, but I do enjoy stopping by for interesting readings. Hopefully this place will be wild with excitement vs. gloom and doom. Hail!

I don't have a problem with NNT. Is it possible that you don't put the No New Threads on the AVI.

Of course it's ispossible, but we chose to have it there. The stigma of a shameful badge helps get the point across. Of course, there's always the boobs that wear it with pride :doh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Of course it ispossible, but we chose to have it there. The stigma of a shameful badge helps get the point across. Of course, there's always the boobs that wear it with pride :doh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The "shameful badge", as you call it, is by far the worst thing about being NNTed. Pete knows how to make people feel like crap for starting unwarranted threads. :laugh:

You're so close---just a little less rationalizing/minimizing on the error and a little more "yeh, I see what I did--here it is (being specific) and I'll be more careful and watch for that in the future" (which has always been how you get out of NNT, and just PM that to a mod or e-mail it to staff). But what the hell, we'll call it good anyway now that I showed everyone how for the hundredth time :D and we'll see who's paying attention. :laugh:

:notworthy

Yeh, I see what I did. Oh trust me I will be very carefull next time!!!!

The "shameful badge", as you call it, is by far the worst thing about being NNTed. Pete knows how to make people feel like crap for starting unwarranted threads. :laugh:

I take no credit for the idea of having it there, but don't disagree with it. ;)

about freaking time! :jump:

Bubba, I value your contributions to this board, but there are times that you duplicate threads simply because someone beat you to the punch with breaking news. It doesn't happen often, but for you to be excited about the enforcement of a rule you break is a bit hypocritical.

Bubba, I value your contributions to this board, but there are times that you duplicate threads simply because someone beat you to the punch with breaking news. It doesn't happen often, but for you to be excited about the enforcement of a rule you break is a bit hypocritical.

No need to criticize Bubba. He busts his a to post Skins news here for all of us. If anything, everyone knows Bubba will post a news item within a few minutes of it being out.

Instead, direct your attention to the fans that try to beat him to the punch, when they know it will likely be posted soon. Do they think they will win a large screen tv for beating Bubba by thirty seconds?

It is amazing Bubba even has a wife with all of the work he does for this site. She must get livid at times.

It's not hypocrital at all. What you fail to miss is that if Bubba doubles posts a news thread, it's usually within a few minutes of someone beating him to the punch in posting it. Since the creation of the NNT grouping, we've always said that we wouldn't NNT anyone for that. If it's been several hours or more when someone posts a dupe news thread, then yes, chances are high that they'll be NNT'd. What you also miss, is that if Bubba realises that he's posted a dupe thread, he actually reports his post AND he includes a link to the first thread so that they may be merged without any of us on Staff having to search for both threads. Pretty simple, and pretty damn responsible. I wish everyone else could do the same when they post a dupe thread.

And something else that would REALLY help when posting news articles would be to follow this extremely simple part of Rule #10:

If you are posting a published article from a news source, please title your thread in the following format: "SOURCE SHORTFORM: HEADLINE" (Ex. WP: Redskins Sign CB Shawn Springs).

Doing this, rather then say, Redskins: Camp Confidential / ESPN.com - Campbell fully prepared to lead Redskins / JC is on the FRONT of the ESPN.com NFL page! / ESPN: Campbell fully prepared to lead Redskins

All of which were merged 4 times as they were the same article titled differently nearly every time it was posted.

ESPN: Campbell fully prepared to lead Redskins (El Mergero)

Archived