Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US News: Cheney Rumored to be Contemplating Resigning

China

White House Watch: Cheney resignation rumors fly

Posted 10/18/05

By Paul Bedard

Sparked by today's Washington Post story that suggests Vice President Cheney's office is involved in the Plame-CIA spy link investigation, government officials and advisers passed around rumors that the vice president might step aside and that President Bush would elevate Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

"It's certainly an interesting but I still think highly doubtful scenario," said a Bush insider. "And if that should happen," added the official, "there will undoubtedly be those who believe the whole thing was orchestrated – another brilliant Machiavellian move by the VP."

Said another Bush associate of the rumor, "Yes. This is not good." The rumor spread so fast that some Republicans by late morning were already drawing up reasons why Rice couldn't get the job or run for president in 2008.

"Isn't she pro-choice?" asked a key Senate Republican aide. Many White House insiders, however, said the Post story and reports that the investigation was coming to a close had officials instead more focused on who would be dragged into the affair and if top aides would be indicted and forced to resign.

"Folks on the inside and near inside are holding their breath and wondering what's next," said a Bush adviser. But, he added, they aren't focused on the future of the vice president. "Not that, at least not seriously," he said.

Wow

This would either prove the administration is dumb as hell, as liberals assert, or so cunning and wise they planned these moves 2 years ago, as liberals also assert

It'll be interesting how this plays out

But wasn't Cheney supposed to step down last year for health reasons and Rudy placed on the ticket ;)

Wow

This would either prove the administration is dumb as hell, as liberals assert, or so cunning and wise they planned these moves 2 years ago, as liberals also assert

It'll be interesting how this plays out

But wasn't Cheney supposed to step down last year for health reasons and Rudy placed on the ticket ;)

That was Kilmers guess

Sparked by today's Washington Post story that suggests Vice President Cheney's office is involved in the Plame-CIA spy link investigation, government officials and advisers passed around rumors that the vice president might step aside and that President Bush would elevate Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

"It's certainly an interesting but I still think highly doubtful scenario," said a Bush insider. "And if that should happen," added the official, "there will undoubtedly be those who believe the whole thing was orchestrated – another brilliant Machiavellian move by the VP."

Said another Bush associate of the rumor, "Yes. This is not good." The rumor spread so fast that some Republicans by late morning were already drawing up reasons why Rice couldn't get the job or run for president in 2008.

"Isn't she pro-choice?" asked a key Senate Republican aide. Many White House insiders, however, said the Post story and reports that the investigation was coming to a close had officials instead more focused on who would be dragged into the affair and if top aides would be indicted and forced to resign.

"Folks on the inside and near inside are holding their breath and wondering what's next," said a Bush adviser. But, he added, they aren't focused on the future of the vice president. "Not that, at least not seriously," he said.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/051018/18whwatch.htm?track=rss

The rumor spread so fast that some Republicans by late morning were already drawing up reasons why Rice couldn't get the job or run for president in 2008.

"Isn't she pro-choice?" asked a key Senate Republican aide.

Somebody tell me again about how the GOP just can't stand the way the Democratic party has litmus tests for membership, but won't admit it.

I dont think a lame duck administration with an aging VP who couldnt give a damn about his political future would resign out of weakness... its not as if failure has forced the administration to be anything but stubborn in the past. If it happens, my bet is on Machiavellian manipulation, or the possibility that Cheney's health is far worse than we've been allowed to know.

I dont think a lame duck administration with an aging VP who couldnt give a damn about his political future would resign out of weakness... its not as if failure has forced the administration to be anything but stubborn in the past. If it happens, my bet is on Machiavellian manipulation, or the possibility that Cheney's health is far worse than we've been allowed to know.

didn't he recently have another surgery?

didn't he recently have another surgery?

He had some type of medical procedure, I don't remember what it was. Its interesting, because his profile was particularly low over the summer, and then when Katrina hit and other administration officials went to N.O. and Mississippi before he did, I thought there might be something they weren't telling us. The medical procedure took place relatively soon afterwards. I've been sitting on the theory that he's worse off than we know for awhile, and then when I saw this article I thought it might tie in. Who knows. I think my money is more on Machiavellian manipulation though :) .

...edit...

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/politics/3368391

Sept. 24th...

Cheney was scheduled to have a short, flexible tube called a stent implanted in his right knee to protect weakened walls in the popliteal artery, which runs behind the kneecap. During the operation, surgeons decided to install a second stent to relieve a similar condition in his left knee. The aneurysms were detected during a routine physical in July.

Archived