Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES QB Discussion: A Tale of Two Quarters.. Grossman's game so far

Bang

Just some thoughts.. feel free to expound

Rex Grossman's first half can be described as a Tale of Two Quarters

The first quarter was the usual garbage.. no rhyme or reason to anything, bad passes and bad plays by receivers when passes were good. Palumbo was getting crushed. Gaffney looked like he bet on the Cowboys.

I thought Grossman played OK considering he had only 2 yards passing in the first quarter.. I thought other than his ridiculous jump shot screen pass, he wasn't throwing bad. He missed Gaffney on the sidelines, but it looked more to me like Gaffney ran his out too narrowly.

Then Anderson makes a play and everything changes. It just goes to show what CAN happen when a guy steps up.. Rex is having one of his better days so far, and all he needed was someone to make a play for him, and the offense looks entirely different.

On his touchdown "scamper" :ols: Sonny Jurgensen called a QB draw as the team broke the huddle. Pretty cool to see it happen.

The Redskins get the ball back and Rex makes some nice throws, Helu makes some nice runs, and the pressure is backed off a little bit. The difference is we're seeing a QB playing with confidence, throwing when he should, and so far, where he should.

The touchdown to Gaffney was an excellent throw.

Hopefully the game continues in this fashion.

~Bang

Rex means we are NOT winning the O vs D battle

IF we win the Special Teams battle but LOSE our D vs O battle we are only a 50% chance of winning

There are 3 parts to the game....and we only consistently win one of them

When we start winning two of them.....we will be in contention

We are one draft away people

It's safe to say that if Rex played like this the entire season, this team would have more wins.

What does this say about the Cowboys defense? It seemed like the Redskins O-line did a lot better pass protecting, as well as Grossman himself doing better at stepping up in the pocket to buy more time and step into throws.

I think this goes to show more about Kyle's playcalling than anything Grossman did. We've been calling some good plays and getting guys open, we just couldn't ever execute. This game showed what happens when just a couple guys start executing.

Good performance by Rex, he made some very good throws and moved the ball with not a great deal around him in terms of playmakers. Still the odd bonehead decision but he more than did his job today. He was clutch on the drive to tie he score and send it to OT.

It was a well designed passing game as well attacking the Dallas safeties and the linebackers in the flats coverage.

Finally, Rex steps up and plays a decent game; finally. Not gameball good, just decent, but this was a team loss. Too many missed opportunities by the qb, kicker, te, defense, it was plays that needed to be made that weren't which cost us this game. Dallas isn't that good, as the defense showed, but they made clutch plays when they had to, and we didn't.

I'm wondering if this same type of play from Rex will show up next week; but I'm not banking on anything, because once you start to have faith in him, he'll stink up the joint...

So how do you think Rex and It is will spin it so THT none of Rex's turnovers are Rex's fault?

He threw a deep ball a little short because he was about to get blasted by a defender and couldn't step into it. His only other choice was to take the sack. Given the way he routinely made up for 1st and longs because of penalties today, he probably shouldn't have taken the sack but I wasn't that upset about it. Look at his whole game today and the players around him and you can't tell me you aren't pleased with his play.

He threw a deep ball a little short because he was about to get blasted by a defender and couldn't step into it. His only other choice was to take the sack. Given the way he routinely made up for 1st and longs because of penalties today, he probably shouldn't have taken the sack but I wasn't that upset about it. Look at his whole game today and the players around him and you can't tell me you aren't pleased with his play.

Honestly, with the exception of Kyle Shanahan's play calling (especially on running plays), Orakpo and Hall, I'm greatly pleased by this team today. I haven't been this engrossed in a game since ... Well, the last Dallas game.

Archived