Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Shanny Really Trying To Get Jay Cutler Back?

Hubbs

Okay, this will sound crazy, so hear me out.

Shanahan knows that Cutler has, shall we say, irritated Chicago fans to a certain extent. He also knows those fans might be interested in McNabb. So if he puts McNabb on the outs here, it might actually be possible to swap them for one another. Culter was great under Shanny in Denver, and I would guess Shanny thinks he can make him great again.

Crazy? Yeah, a little. But, I have to say, it might just be crazy enough to work. I still prefer McNabb right now, but... I can see how this sort of plan could be concocted.

I'd prefer McNabb and a new coach to Shanny and Cutler. Trading a 2nd and 3rd for a rental and compounding that mistake by bringing in Jeff George 2.0 is enough to get fired IMO.

Having said all that, I don't believe for one second Shanahan wants Jay Cutler.

Cutler's skillset is perfect for Shanahan's system, not Martz's. He can also keep him in check. I don't think you have a chance at him as Chicago is invested already, but he was Shanny's guy. He waited almost a decade to get somebody like him and was molding him great in only his second full year starting before things went south.

Cutler has the most raw talent in the NFL. It's too bad that he won't live up to his potential in Chicago... where QBs go to die, or possibly ever in his career. Who knows what that O-line has done to his head (physically and mentally) but his only chance would've been Shanny.

BTW, Wasn't it Schefter that leaked you guys offered 2 firsts and 2 thirds? BTW, Shefter is Shanny's leak, not Mortenson. Mortenson lies. Schefter & Shanny have a good relationship and even had some kind of book deal going.

We don't need Cutler because he isn't that consistent to be a great QB. He is a cross between a Jeff George and a Brett Favre. He is a gun slinger with a little bit of " I know better than the coaches" type attitude that gets him into trouble. We need a QB that will make all the throws and put the team into position to win with little to no mistakes.

I can't believe there are 2 threads on this :doh:. IMO, there is no way we let McNabb go for Cutler. McNabb has make chicken salad out of chicken **** (referring to the talent @ WR & the Oline). So to bring a less athletic & less talented QB with what we currently have, is absolutely crazy.

I watched every single game Cutler started for Shanny. Trust me when I tell you that they are two peas in a pod. I'd never seen Shanahan so giddy over a QB... not even in the Elway days. Cutler was a good student of the game under Shanahan. What happened between he & McDaniels was blown way out of proportion by the media. Cutler was nothing short of immature and he had a coach who was just as immature as he was. They were not going to function well together. Cutler bought into Shanahan and what QB wouldn't? He was not only Elway's QB coach, but Steve Young's OC as well. He's taken the likes of Brian Griese, Jake Plummer to the Pro Bowl. Heck, even Bubby Brister kept us alive when Elway was injured before our second championship. He'll say stupid stuff, he's terrible with the media, but he will work hard for Shanahan and he is comfortable with the system.

Everybody talks about how he had Brandon Marshall & Eddie Royal in Denver. Well, he took his receivers during off season to work out, run routes and develop timing with each other. That's how dedicated he was and that's how BMarsh & Royal earned their reputation as receivers. That's what Shanahan likes. When McDaniels jacked him over, he had stopped in to Dove Valley to get a head start on the playbook after the Pro Bowl. People are so easy to judge Cutler's immaturity... he is after all a kid, not a Saint and not Tim Tebow. But he and Shanahan are a perfect fit. You would be happy with him. He'll make some questionable decisions now and then, but he will win you games on his arm alone and you have the makings of a defense that could pick him up on bad days..,. the balance that he didn't get in Denver.

He doesn't look so good in Chicago. I don't feel he's being given the proper coaching and enough tools to succeed there. But he is one tough SOB. He is a baller and a football player in every sense of the word.

We don't need Cutler because he isn't that consistent to be a great QB. He is a cross between a Jeff George and a Brett Favre. He is a gun slinger with a little bit of " I know better than the coaches" type attitude that gets him into trouble. We need a QB that will make all the throws and put the team into position to win with little to no mistakes.

He's consistent under Shanahan.

I watched every single game Cutler started for Shanny. Trust me when I tell you that they are two peas in a pod. I'd never seen Shanahan so giddy over a QB... not even in the Elway days. Cutler was a good student of the game under Shanahan. What happened between he & McDaniels was blown way out of proportion by the media. Cutler was nothing short of immature and he had a coach who was just as immature as he was. They were not going to function well together. Cutler bought into Shanahan and what QB wouldn't? He was not only Elway's QB coach, but Steve Young's OC as well. He's taken the likes of Brian Griese, Jake Plummer to the Pro Bowl. Heck, even Bubby Brister kept us alive when Elway was injured before our second championship. He'll say stupid stuff, he's terrible with the media, but he will work hard for Shanahan and he is comfortable with the system.

Everybody talks about how he had Brandon Marshall & Eddie Royal in Denver. Well, he took his receivers during off season to work out, run routes and develop timing with each other. That's how dedicated he was and that's how BMarsh & Royal earned their reputation as receivers. That's what Shanahan likes. When McDaniels jacked him over, he had stopped in to Dove Valley to get a head start on the playbook after the Pro Bowl. People are so easy to judge Cutler's immaturity... he is after all a kid, not a Saint and not Tim Tebow. But he and Shanahan are a perfect fit. You would be happy with him. He'll make some questionable decisions now and then, but he will win you games on his arm alone and you have the makings of a defense that could pick him up on bad days..,. the balance that he didn't get in Denver.

He doesn't look so good in Chicago. I don't feel he's being given the proper coaching and enough tools to succeed there. But he is one tough SOB. He is a baller and a football player in every sense of the word.

Ding ding ding.

Honestly, I'm starting to warm up to this, as ridiculous as it sounds. McDaniels runs a different system, it obviously wouldn't work with Cutler but it apparently works with Kyle ****ing Orton. Okay, I think that makes us need to take a step back and re-evalualuate the situation.

Cutler has skills no doubt, but lets not forget in Denver he had Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal. Also he was only sacked 11 times the last year he was there. Having a O-line and adequate WR's enable Cutler to have a great season his last year in Denver. The Skins and Bears both have inadequate O-lines and under average WR's. Cutler hasn't looked the same since. Funny thing is if the Skins would've given up 2 1st rounders and Jason Campbell for him, it woud've been stupid. If my calculation is right that would've meant Trent Williams and Orakpo wouldn't be here right now. Bottom line is Cutler or no Qb is gonna succeed behind this O-line along with the bad WR's. IZ'll be glad when the Skins brass focus on the trenches. Its how the game is won. It doesn't matter who the QB is as long as the trenches stink.

Hey thanks Hubbs. I'm new here and after all the McNabb junk going on, I thought I would come by and add any thoughts offer any insight on Shanahan. I've been reading a while, but found a lot of incorrect information, so I joined.

Everybody here has been kind except Ryman... I don't blame him, though. I kind of get upset at McDaniels a lot these days, too.

A common misconception is that Cutler has a long ball. He doesn't. He has a strong and accurate arm and is best for his intermediate game. He would have been perfect for McDaniels system. I often wonder what could've been if McDaniels could have just sucked it up and coached him up.

Don't you guys think the problem is the Offensive Line. I mean everything has to start there.. no one will play the QB well until we better our line. Granted McNabb is NOT an accurate QB but he would be much better if he was not scrambling every play. just my 2 cents.

/thread.

Archived