Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: NFC East Division Preview

MattFancy

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ross_tucker/08/31/nfc.east.preview/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

WASHINGTON REDSKINS

What the Redskins do best: Play defense.

The Redskins have very quietly had one of the better defenses in the NFL over the past few years and they expect to build upon that as they switch to a 3-4 base front under new defensive coordinator Jim Haslett. Haslett believes the Redskins have the personnel, especially in prototypical pass-rushing outside linebackers Brian Orakpo and Andre Carter, to successfully make this transition. With those two getting after the quarterback and veteran linebacker London Fletcher leading the run defense, the 'Skins should be stellar again in the front seven. If they can coax Albert Haynesworth into playing at a high level, they could be dominant. The 'Skins need this group to not only play well, but also force a lot of turnovers, something it hasn't done a great deal of in recent years and is the prime reason Haslett made the switch away from the 4-3.

What the Redskins need to improve: The passing game.

The passing game in Washington has not been up to snuff in recent years. They replaced Jason Campbell with Donovan McNabb at quarterback and brought in a coordinator who is fast earning a reputation as one of the brightest young offensive minds in the NFL: Kyle Shanahan. His specialty is the play-action passing game and the Redskins will use it to get big plays from a rather pedestrian group of wide receivers. The 'Skins hope to make up for their lack of elite receivers by getting big chunks of yardage from their dual athletic tight ends, Chris Cooley and Fred Davis.

Which Redskin needs to step up: Wide receiver Anthony Armstrong.

The 'Skins are expecting a significant contribution this season from the relatively unknown first-year player from West Texas A&M. Armstrong has been the breakout star of training camp, easily passing by former second-round picks Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly on his way towards the top of the depth chart. Based on Joey Galloway's age and the manner in which he flopped last season in New England, Santana Moss is the only sure-fire receiver on this team. Armstrong is quick in and out of his breaks and has played well enough this preseason that he is expected to be a key contributor, starting in Week 1.

Predicted record: 10-6.

The Redskins were a much more talented team than their 4-12 record from a year indicated and all they did this offseason was add a future Hall of Fame head coach, Mike Shanahan, and a quarterback who is still one of the 10 best in the NFL. Additions like that boost the confidence in the locker room. If they can use that confidence to get off to a fast start, they have as good a chance to win the division as any of the other teams. Seemingly every year in the NFL there is one team that goes from last to first. This year it is the Redskins.

Uh oh is the hype train for the Skins about to take off??

I'm really not sold on our front seven.

If Haynesworth plays and plays hard, our front three should be good. Outside Orakpo though, I'm not impressed with our LBs.

Our pass defense should be good though. I've been impressed with our 3rd down defense especially.

Our offense will be good enough with a rebuilt O-line. Although Rabach is a big time weak link.

I think our front seven will be pretty solid. I could see them getting out to a slow start while they are still learning the defense, but I don't see any reason why we can't have another top 10 defense. If we can force some turnovers this year, that will be a huge difference maker.

my fear is the Defense this season......Hall and Rogers getting beat for huge/big plays...and DL and his issues with going for the big hit (basically the entire secondary)......I actually think the Offense will be very surprising and put up points against anyone....

I do hope this prediction comes true though...and isn't just another let down for us fans going into a hopeful season...

I agree with ashlyn...I think we will struggle on defense. I think we'll get more turnovers than we've seen but I also believe we'll get torched relatively often. Maybe the net will be about the same (with just higher scores), I don't know.

I think it will be a culture shock to watch our D giving up points though. It could be frustrating...we'll see.

Having said that, I agree with the article that we've made up ground on our division. I still think we're looking at a 4-game improvement at the most though. Another thing I agree with is the number of wins it'll take to win the division. I think 10 gets it done this year since every team has a couple flaws.

my fear is the Defense this season......Hall and Rogers getting beat for huge/big plays...and DL and his issues with going for the big hit (basically the entire secondary)......I actually think the Offense will be very surprising and put up points against anyone....

I do hope this prediction comes true though...and isn't just another let down for us fans going into a hopeful season...

Hall and Rogers are the least of my worries on defense. I worry about Carter, McIntosh and (yes, even) Fletcher. Carter as a LB failed in San Fran and McIntosh isn't used to playing inside. I think Fletcher will be ok, he's just not as big a LB you'd want in a 3-4. If the line plays well, Fletcher should be ok, but I worry about him getting beat up over the course of the year.

I think we're going to see what we've seen in preseason so far from the first string:

A defense that isn't in the tops in yardage, but is tops in turnovers and points allowed.

I'd much rather have a defense that allows yardage between the 20's,but reliably takes the ball away much of the time, and doesn't allow scores. That leads to a defense that isn't pretty in the Total Yards standings, yes. But we've been getting fooled by those rankings for years around here.

Hall and Rogers are the least of my worries on defense. I worry about Carter, McIntosh and (yes, even) Fletcher. Carter as a LB failed in San Fran and McIntosh isn't used to playing inside. I think Fletcher will be ok, he's just not as big a LB you'd want in a 3-4. If the line plays well, Fletcher should be ok, but I worry about him getting beat up over the course of the year.

to be honest it's not so much Rogers as it is Hall....honestly I don't like the guy and think he isn't that good....he always go for the big play (for the int) and he gets burned way to much for my liken on deep routes and when he goes for that int......I think he'd rather run his mouth then actually play

He also predicted the rest of the division will be:

Cowboys 10-6

Giants 9-7

Eagles 9-7

he forgets the NFC east plays the NFC north and the AFC South, No way the entire division does well this season.

Yeah I think the division will be close, but not all 4 teams within a game of each other. I can see the winner of the division at 11-5/10-6 and the last place team being around 7-9. Which would still be very close.

He also predicted the rest of the division will be:

Cowboys 10-6

Giants 9-7

Eagles 9-7

he forgets the NFC east plays the NFC north and the AFC South, No way the entire division does well this season.

Exactly. Everyone in the NFCE has a brutal schedule. His overall records for the four teams is way off. Much more likely to have a 7-9 and 8-8 team. My guess is the Skins will be the 8-8 team.

I think every 2-3 seasons the Redskins become the fashionable pick for many reporters who want to break out of the norm so they can say they were "the ones who knew." They take a chance on the Skins hoping to be able to brag at seasons' end. However it's important to keep in mind that these reporters are indeed taking a chance.

Until Washington does it once, I'm not calling it. Show me.

I say 1)Dallas 2)NY 3)Phila 4)Washington.

I'm not trying to trash my Redskins. We could be much better this season and still go 6-10 with our schedule. I'm just trying to keep my head on straight until they win 8 games with 3-4 games left in the season. Then I'll believe. (Even then they could fade due to having so many players considered to be old.)

Well lets not forget, our defense last year was on the field most of the game, and was tired by the 4th quarter, could not hold leads.

This year the offense should be much improved, helping the defense stay fresh.

In theory, of course.

That is a big deal and has been for our good Defense the last few years. Loosing leads or close games in the 4th because they go back to back series. A turnaround this year will win games...starts with the Offense. Sustaining drives and Defense causing turnovers results in a winning record.

I said the same thing. Every year there's a success story. We are it this year. With Shanny, Kyle, Donovan and the studs on the OLine, we're gonna be pretty solid this year. I think we win the division.

Most of the losses last year were close.This year, we learn how to win those games with proven winners on the field and sideline.

Archived