Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC mystery puzzle: So who are the players the Skins are pursuing in trades?

inmate running the asylum

If JLC is talking about trades the Skins are pursuing, its not going to be DE Justin Smith. Smith is a free agent now who the 49ers are rumored to have already locked up.

The Redskins have been mentioned in the Denver newspapers as possible suitors of Javon Walker. Reportedly a "conditional" draft pick would be involved and Walker would of course have to pass a physical.

So who else is on the trading block that we know of that the Skins might be interested in?

CB DeAngelo Hall, Atlanta: - I doubt it, because he wants about $10 Mil per year.

DT - Shaun Rogers, Detroit: I doubt it, because Denver reportedly has the inside track on him.

WR - Roy Williams, Detroit - Hmm. An outside possibility, because he only has a 575k base salary in 2008 and is under contract through 2009. This would give the Skins more time to redo his contract if they so desired.

WR - Chad Johnson, Cincy - Although less likely, I suppose there is still an outside possibility behind closed doors.

DT - Cory Williams, Green Bay - A possibility. I've read they don't want to pay him a franchise salary and that he can possibly be had for as little as a 3rd round pick and maybe a 7th round pick in 2009. The franchise tag on DT's is somewhat low, like a little over $6 Mil.

DT - Dewayne Robertson, NY Jets. Reportedly he is on the trading block as he doesn fit their 3-4 defense. He has a huge contract though, so that would have to be redone.

LB - Jonathan Vilma, NY Jets. Definitely on the trading block as he doesn't fit their 3-4 scheme and a Miami player. But he is also recuperating from knee surgery. If healthy he could give us depth at LB. Although he has been a MLB, I believe he can also play OLB.

Have we missed any players?

So there you have it guys, from what Miss Cleo recently told me. :D Or was it, Psycho Bob? I can't remember if I recently clipped her toenails or not. And it does make a difference. I guess I'm getting senile now. :laugh:

Anyway, we have something to discuss. As nothing gets ES more excited around this time of the year, than trade rumors. Especially ParkCitySkins.

P.S. I remembered to type this in Bubba's favorite color and provided a link this time. :)

hotcalabresesausage.jpg

Only player on the list that I would truely love to see here is Roy Williams from Detroit. I'd prefer to see him here rather than Chad Johnson because he's young and not a short term answer.

I agree, and I'll add that he'll be cheaper in the short term and probably won't cost as steep a draft pick price. A second for Roy Williams, a bonafide big WR when healthy is a good deal. Just knock on wood his injury problems are behind him and do the deal.

Only player on the list that I would truely love to see here is Roy Williams from Detroit. I'd prefer to see him here rather than Chad Johnson because he's young and not a short term answer.

Roy Williams or Cory Williams. If all we'd have to give up is our 3rd and 7th round picks for Williams, I'd be all over it.

One advantage to trading for players (one disadvantage is giving up draft picks), is that being that you are actually trading contracts, you already know what the player's salary is. There is no future cap hit, unless you give the player a new bonus and contract right away, which is optional.

In the case of Brandon Lloyd we didn't need to give him a new contract when we traded for him, because he still had a year to go on his 49er contract. Instead of waiting to see how he would perform his first year and then cutting him after 2006, we blew it by giving him a big bonus and new contract extension. If the Skins had cut Lloyd after his first year with the team, there would have been no cap hit (the 49ers had already absorbed that). But we were stuck because we couldn't absorb big cap hits for BOTH Archuletta and Lloyd in the same year.

If we trade for a high-priced player, lets hope the FO doesn't do this again, without seeing how the player performs.

One advantage to trading for players (one disadvantage is giving up draft picks), is that being that you are actually trading contracts, you already know what the player's salary is and the cap hit will be. Giving the player a new contract right away is optional.

In the case of Brandon Lloyd we didn't need to give him a new contract when we traded for him, because he still had a year to go on his 49er contract. Instead of waiting to see how he would perform his first year and then cutting him after 2006, we blew it by giving him a big bonus and new contract extension. If the Skins had cut Lloyd after his first year with the team, there would have been no cap hit (the 49ers had already absorbed that). But we were stuck because we couldn't absorb big cap hits for BOTH Archuletta and Lloyd in the same year.

If we trade for a high-priced player, lets hope the FO doesn't do this again, without seeing how the player performs.

Very good point. I was extremely pissed at the FO for giving Lloyd a new deal before he even performed in this offense.

Lets hope that we do better in FA this year. :fingersx:

I would kinda like the Cory Williams trade. A 3rd and a 7th next year.

Williams is 27 and has had 14 sacks the past 2 years. He is a DT who can rush the QB -- there aren't too many DT's around that can do that -- but he can also slide out and play DE too.

That would still leave us with a 1st and 2nd round pick to draft whatever else we wanted. :)

Williams is 27 and has had 14 sacks the past 2 years. He is a DT who can rush the QB -- there aren't too many DT's around that can do that -- but he can also slide out and play DE too.

That would still leave us with a 1st and 2nd round pick to draft whatever else we wanted. :)

I am definitely a fan of that trade. Less risk in a proven commodity. This leaves 2 of the 3 needs being taken care of in the first 2 rounds.

I think one of the keys is we need to look for younger players who can play for years. Its one thing to get talented players for only say a 3rd or 4th round pick, but if they are gone in two years, it does us no good. Because this team isnt contending for a superbowl right now, we arent looking for 1 year veteran stop-gap players. We should be looking for players who can play for years to come.

I'd be down with this also. Word. :yes:

I

DT - Cory Williams, Green Bay - A possibility. I've read they don't want to pay him a franchise salary and that he can possibly be had for as little as a 3rd round pick and maybe a 7th round pick in 2009. The franchise tag on DT's is somewhat low, like a little over $6 Mil.

Hrms.... This yeras 3rd and a 7th in 2009? Shoot I'd give a 6th in 2009 and our Third this year to get a young stud DT Like williams. That would free our hands to take a WR, CB, OG, or DE in the 1st and 2nd, or maybe even do a trade down scenario they give us Williams, and their 1st, we give them our 1st, and 3rd This year. That's a trade I could definitiely live with.

Very good point. I was extremely pissed at the FO for giving Lloyd a new deal before he even performed in this offense.

Yet, we did the same thing with Santana Moss. Personally, I don't have a problem doing that if you believe in a player. Also, let's be realistic here: Even the harshest critic of the trade would not have predicted that Lloyd would do THAT poorly.

No doubt the Redskins majorly misjudged Lloyd, but I'd rather see that type of commitment to a guy we traded multiple draft picks for, rather than just seeing him walk the next year like Duckett. That trade pisses me off far more than the Lloyd trade.

Jason

Archived