Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hey Coaches! It's on You! Throw out a Challenge.

jarresc

Here's quote from today's WP from Chris Samuels......

"With the way we played that game [against Dallas], and how we've played in some of the other games, I know we're capable of beating anybody if we can get in" to the playoffs, Samuels said. "We just have to finish up strong and slide in. We'll be fine as long as we can do that. It's as simple as that."

I'm sorry..............but

If this is the way the team is thinking....we're in a heap of trouble. "If we get in" and "finish strong and slide in." WTF is that!

These coaches should not tolerate this attitude and be in these player faces everyday about winning out.....going 11-5 and really trying to contend for something. Not sliding in the playoffs and showing everyone we're capable "playing with anybody."

I'd shut these players up, issue a challenge to them, and go run this table! If Gibbs can get'em fired up to have the right attitude.....unleash Buges and Williams on them. We need the right attitude, swagger, and unrelenting effort for this stretch run.

"With the way we played that game [against Dallas], and how we've played in some of the other games, I know we're capable of beating anybody if we can get in" to the playoffs, Samuels said. "We just have to finish up strong and slide in. We'll be fine as long as we can do that. It's as simple as that."

If this is the way the team is thinking....we're in a heap of trouble. "If we get in" and "finish strong and slide in." WTF is that!

These coaches should not tolerate this attitude and be in these player faces everyday about winning out.....going 11-5 and really trying to contend for something. Not sliding in the playoffs and showing everyone we're capable "playing with anybody."

I'd shut these players up, issue a challenge to them, and go run this table! If Gibbs can get'em fired up to have the right attitude.....unleash Buges and Williams on them. We need the right attitude, swagger, and unrelenting effort for this stretch run.

what do you want him to say? atleast there confident in themselfs!

With this kind of statement......I can't see how you think they are confident in themselves. I hope you are right.

It just seems like the same old "ho hum", we'll go to work, do what we do, and see what happens. No fire or passion in taking it to the next level.

"I know we're capable of beating anybody if we can get in"

Sorry, but this doesn't seem like a bad statement. Seems more like he believes his team can beat anyone....all they have to do is get in.

Exactly.

I read it as, he knows as of right now they don't control their own destiny. Just keep playing well and they know what they're capable of.

The original OP is not reading it right IMO.

You're reading too much into that statement, the fact that the Redskins are hovering around the 9th spot in the NFC. The Skins will be sliding in the playoffs even if they do win out

Team W - L Div Conf

Cowboys 9-1 4-0 7-0

GB 9-1 2-1 7-0

N.Y 7-3 2-2 5-3

TB 6-4 3-0 5-2

Sea 6-4 3-1 5-2

Det 6-4 3-0 4-4

Cards 5-5 2-1 3-4

Eagles 5-5 1-3 3-5

Skins 5-5 1-3 3-4

No offense on this, but at least 10 times a week a thread is started where someone tries to extrapolate some generic comment that a player or coach makes and apply it on some grand scale or assume that that is there mindset. This is a case of the fundamental attribution error. AS someone else said, "what do you expect hime to say?" People take what they read much too seriously and litterally.

Here is an empathy exercise for anyone that wants to try. Either take a tape recorder or just make an effort to think about everything you say over the course of a day or a week. I'm pretty sure some of the things you say would be pretty silly to an outside observer and probably even to yourself. This is what happens to players. The media records everything they say and sometimes they might not say it exactly the way they mean it or feel it. No offense to the players, but THEY ARE football player, not english majors.

I agree Rhyno. These guys are at work 60 hours a week, busting tail. You can't expect them to come screaming and hollering absolutisms to the media every day, just because we want to hear it. If there is one thing I don't worry about with the 2007 Redskins, it's how bad the veteran leaders want it - for Joe, for themselves.

With this kind of statement......I can't see how you think they are confident in themselves. I hope you are right.

It just seems like the same old "ho hum", we'll go to work, do what we do, and see what happens. No fire or passion in taking it to the next level.

You're focusing on the "slide in" comment rather than "we can beat anybody". The "slide in" comes from the fact that the team is 5-5 and needs to go on a tear just to make the wildcard. They know this. What do you want him to say- "we're going to be the most dominant team in the league through December"? Wouldn't that sound a bit ludicrous at this point?

Chill holmie, if Samuels said this in week 2 or 3 I could see your concern I guess but the only way we're making the playoffs now is if we finish strong and slide in, so what do you want him to say?

"We're done for the year, we plan on finishing weak, maybe next year we can come in and dominate early and win the division, but we're just giving up for this year, thanks guys."

Archived