Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Duplicate Threads, Suggestions, Opinions

crank

There are always duplicate threads here and I feel there always will be. The bashing of members that start these threads needs to stop. People start reading a thread and then have to jump around to get the meaningful information in post. There are many reasons for the duplicate threads here are just a few:

1. The search feature is not working when the thread is started.

2. The original thread is off the first page and has not had a post recently so the thread creator does not see it exist.

3. A new article comes out or something new happens that sparks an idea for the thread creator.

Members need to stop bashing other members and asking that other be banned for trying to share a thought with the rest of us. If you do not have anything meaningful to add to a thread then do not waste everyone else's time by making us scan through belligerent and meaningless post. If you have something constructive to say then please share it with the rest of us. If you have a gripe have a solution or ideas that may help everyone out.

Perhaps the forum needs to be broken down further to allow for threads to be better sorted under "The Stadium" we could have these forums

Pregame - Thread for discussions leading up to the current weeks game (threads get moved to past games at the end of the game)

In-game - Threads started to discuss events that happened in the past weeks game (threads are moved to past games when the next game starts)

Post game - Threads to follow up on the past weeks game and tell about game experiences

Past games - archive of old threads

Future games- Threads about up coming games that will be moved to the pregame forum the week of the game.

Can we have hot topics set to be at the top of the first page so members do not have to scroll to find threads that are meaningful? We have new threads always at the top but maybe there can be the top three threads in terms of number of post or rating for the week that are at the top.

I am sure someone will complain that this post is repetitive but until something changes I feel it needs to stay in everyone's thoughts. This may just be my opinion but I think we need to stay positive and find solutions to make this a better site for everyone instead of discouraging people to share their opinions. The more involvement we have the better discussions will be. So be sportive and help someone out instead of bashing them for a mistake.

There are always duplicate threads here and I feel there always will be. The bashing of members that start these threads needs to stop. People start reading a thread and then have to jump around to get the meaningful information in post. There are many reasons for the duplicate threads here are just a few:

1. The search feature is not working when the thread is started.

2. The original thread is off the first page and has not had a post recently so the thread creator does not see it exist.

3. A new article comes out or something new happens that sparks an idea for the thread creator.

Members need to stop bashing other members and asking that other be banned for trying to share a thought with the rest of us. If you do not have anything meaningful to add to a thread then do not waste everyone else's time by making us scan through belligerent and meaningless post. If you have something constructive to say then please share it with the rest of us. If you have a gripe have a solution or ideas that may help everyone out.

Perhaps the forum needs to be broken down further to allow for threads to be better sorted under "The Stadium" we could have these forums

Pregame - Thread for discussions leading up to the current weeks game (threads get moved to past games at the end of the game)

In-game - Threads started to discuss events that happened in the past weeks game (threads are moved to past games when the next game starts)

Post game - Threads to follow up on the past weeks game and tell about game experiences

Past games - archive of old threads

Future games- Threads about up coming games that will be moved to the pregame forum the week of the game.

Can we have hot topics set to be at the top of the first page so members do not have to scroll to find threads that are meaningful? We have new threads always at the top but maybe there can be the top three threads in terms of number of post or rating for the week that are at the top.

I am sure someone will complain that this post is repetitive but until something changes I feel it needs to stay in everyone's thoughts. This may just be my opinion but I think we need to stay positive and find solutions to make this a better site for everyone instead of discouraging people to share their opinions. The more involvement we have the better discussions will be. So be sportive and help someone out instead of bashing them for a mistake.

the only real solution to stop this is close the board. which probably wont happen anytime soon. i get tired of seeing thread starting off like "used the search function and didnt find anything" especially when 4 or 5 posts below is a thread on the same topic. people basically need to start reading and stop skimming and stop being in a hurry to try and be the first one to post something(it doesnt give you magical powers to post something first, contrary to popular belief). you should need over 1000 posts to make a thread on this board since theres so many members. of course too many members is a problem too

the only real solution to stop this is close the board. which probably wont happen anytime soon. i get tired of seeing thread starting off like "used the search function and didnt find anything" especially when 4 or 5 posts below is a thread on the same topic. people basically need to start reading and stop skimming and stop being in a hurry to try and be the first one to post something(it doesnt give you magical powers to post something first, contrary to popular belief). you should need over 1000 posts to make a thread on this board since theres so many members. of course too many members is a problem too

I actually like lots of thread choices, even if some are duplicate. It's much easier to read through 30 or 40 posts on a thread then one that has 300 posts.

It makes finding feed back to post a lot easier as well. I am really just sick of people bashing others and saying they should be banned.

I actually like lots of thread choices, even if some are duplicate. It's much easier to read through 30 or 40 posts on a thread then one that has 300 posts.

It makes finding feed back to post a lot easier as well. I am really just sick of people bashing others and saying they should be banned.

Ah, but there are threadrules on this board, and one of those rules is:

7. Ensure the topic you wish to initiate a thread about hasn’t already been posted. If you are reporting Redskins "news" or "rumors" more than a few hours old, please use the Search Feature or scan the first two pages of the forum before posting, to ensure the news hasn't already been posted and the topic discussed. Multiple topics will be closed or merged. This is a very large and active community, with sweeping media coverage and up-to-the-minute updates. More than likely, if the news is older than a few hours, the information has already posted and is subject of active debate. If you wish to discuss that topic, you are encouraged to do so in the existing thread

Ah, but there are threadrules on this board, and one of those rules is:

7. Ensure the topic you wish to initiate a thread about hasn’t already been posted. If you are reporting Redskins "news" or "rumors" more than a few hours old, please use the Search Feature or scan the first two pages of the forum before posting, to ensure the news hasn't already been posted and the topic discussed. Multiple topics will be closed or merged. This is a very large and active community, with sweeping media coverage and up-to-the-minute updates. More than likely, if the news is older than a few hours, the information has already posted and is subject of active debate. If you wish to discuss that topic, you are encouraged to do so in the existing thread

here's an idea. read the threads already in existance before you make a new thread. chances are your thoughts are not that novel that nobody has already addressed them in the past 24 hours.

furthermore, if you are debating whether or not you thought is new thread worth, err on the side that it is not and simply address it in thread that you think it is already being discussed in. for instance, if there is a thread titled "Portis needs to go" and you want to make the point that "Portis is our best back," then realize that your idea is not original and can be addressed as a counter-argument to the "portis needs to go" moron's thread.

basically, it comes down to using your head and some common sense.

here's an idea. read the threads already in existance before you make a new thread. chances are your thoughts are not that novel that nobody has already addressed them in the past 24 hours.

furthermore, if you are debating whether or not you thought is new thread worth, err on the side that it is not and simply address it in thread that you think it is already being discussed in. for instance, if there is a thread titled "Portis needs to go" and you want to make the point that "Portis is our best back," then realize that your idea is not original and can be addressed as a counter-argument to the "portis needs to go" moron's thread.

basically, it comes down to using your head and some common sense.

crank,

Thanks for the attempt. Being as you've been around for a couple years, I suspect you've seen all the previous attempts which have gone about as well as this one. :)

It is what it is, man. We have the rules, we try to enforce them as best we can, paying particular attention to the madness in the hours after a game. Fact is though, in a community this size, with new members coming in by the dozens every day, this is simply not an issue that's going to go away. Hopefully, we can limit the craziness if more people like yourself "get" the idea of quaility over quantity, and use of a little patience, and basic civility ... rather than follow the example set by a couple of others right here in this thread.

Going to close this now. Not becuase it's a bad thread--it's a good thread--but becuase based on long experience I can guarantee you that if it stays open it's going to end up heading in the direction we're already seeing, and being just another pissing match that goes nowhere and pushes people apart more than brings them together.

Bummer, huh.

Archived