Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Newsday: Loser of Giants-Eagles likely out of playoff run

tr1

Four games into the season and one of these teams will be written off? No way...

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2007/09/30/2007-09-30_loser_of_giantseagles_likely_out_of_play-2.html

Eagles at Giants at Giants Stadium, 8:15 p.m.

The Line: Eagles by 3

TV: Ch. 4 (Al Michaels, John Madden)

Radio: WFAN-660 AM (Bob Papa, Dick Lynch, Carl Banks), Nationwide on Westwood One (Marv Albert, Bob Trumpy)

Forecast: Perfect weather under the lights, near 70 degrees.

Injury Impact

WR Plaxico Burress will again play on what is being called a "severely" sprained ankle. RB Brandon Jacobs (knee) returned to practice but is likely another week away. RB Derrick Ward (ankle) was limited in practice. Eagles RB Brian Westbrook is nursing an abdominal strain. CB Lito Sheppard (knee) could miss a third straight game. FS Brian Dawkins could return after missing last week with a neck stinger. TE L.J. Smith is on the shelf with a groin injury, good news for a Giant D that has problems covering tight ends.

Feature Matchup

WR Plaxico Burress vs. CB William James: Gimpy or not, Burress is the Giants' most dangerous player. He towered over Eagles corners last year with 17 catches for 323 yards and three TDs in the three games but will be matched up tonight against a bigger man, his former teammate formerly known as Will Peterson. Roy Williams lit up the banged-up Eagles secondary last week, and if given time, Eli Manning will find his favorite receiver. RB Brian Westbrook vs. LBs Antonio Pierce and Kawika Mitchell: Westbrook has accounted for an 44% of the Eagles' net offense and they would love to get him in space against the slower Giant LBs. Defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo intends to "mirror" Westbrook but there is a shortage of candidates. Westbrook's abdominal strain could restrict his ability to change directions, but it's a bad matchup for Giants.

Scout Says

"The Eagles (14 sacks, nine last week) have been getting all sorts of pressure from the front four so (defensive coordinator) Jim Johnson could blitz less than usual against Eli Manning, who has favorable matchups with Burress and (Jeremy) Shockey. Watch the matchup between (David) Diehl and Trent Cole. Diehl has done an admirable job in moving out to tackle but Cole is a different animal than anyone he has faced yet. McNabb's knee is still an issue but he moved better without the brace last week. The Giants will want to keep him in the pocket because he still makes plays on the run. The Giants' corners have to keep up with an absolute burner in Kevin Curtis."

Intangibles

Both rivals are 1-2 but the Eagles have looked better doing it. They can still be the team to beat in the NFC East but can't afford the Cowboys to get too far away from them. The series has turned in their favor recently as they won two of the three games last year, including a three-point squeaker in the playoffs. The Giants are hoping to build on the momentum of last week's dramatic victory over the Redskins. Spagnuolo learned at the foot of Johnson and this would be a superb game in which to make his bones.

Prediction

Eagles, 27-20. Westbrook, Westbrook, Westbrook.

\

When Ladell Betts fell a yard short of the goal line last week and the defense had finally held its ground, the Giants celebrated on the field in Washington like they had just clinched the NFC East title. The on-field party was well-earned since they had just saved their season.

Or did they?

"Nothing has been saved," said Giants quarterback Eli Manning. "We've still got a lot of work to do."

Such are the mood swings of the NFL, that one week after winning a must-win game in Washington, the Giants return home for another game they absolutely have to win. Yes, their confidence is restored after beating the Redskins and salvaging a 1-2 record. But it'll be shattered again if they lose tonight to the Eagles (1-2) at Giants Stadium and fall to 1-3.

In fact, both teams enter the game in exactly the same situations - fresh off season-saving wins last week after disappointing 0-2 starts. They both have been watching the Dallas Cowboys (3-0) threaten to run away with the NFC East.

The loser of tonight's game could end up in a worse hole than they would've been in had they lost last week.

But if nothing else, these two old rivals - who last battled in the first round of the playoffs last year (a 23-20 Eagles win) - do at least feel like they've salvaged something out of their miserable starts. The Giants' 24-17 win at Washington revived a defense that had been putrid, giving up 80 points in the first two weeks of the season. And the Eagles' 56-21 win at home over the Detroit Lions, revived their struggling offense and triggered a rebirth for quarterback Donovan McNabb.

"It was sort of identical for both of us," McNabb said. "You saw their sideline fired up. You see guys making plays. And that is what it is all about. As a team you are fired up and you begin to feed off of that. The adrenaline gets pumping, confidence gets to a high level. You are just awaiting the next opportunity of who is going make that next play.

"So you have two teams now playing at a high level. Confidence is high."

The question now is: What will give first? The Giants' suddenly unbreakable defense, or the Eagles' awakened unstoppable offense? In the second half at Washington, the Giants allowed only 63 yards in shutting out the Redskins and keeping them out of the end zone on the final series even though they had first-and-goal from the 1.

But the Redskins' offense pales in comparison to the Eagles' - especially the Eagles' offense that showed up last Sunday. Besides those 56 points, they put up 536 yards on the Lions. McNabb was 21 of 26 for 381 yards and four touchdowns, and a perfect passer rating of 158.3. Kevin Curtis caught 11 passes for 221 yards and three touchdowns. Brian Westbrook ran for 110 yards, caught five passes for 111 more and scored three touchdowns.

"They played very, very well and were able to accomplish pretty much what they set out to," Tom Coughlin said. "Donovan was real decisive, real sharp. I mean, those numbers are incredible. To have 80 percent completion, a quarterback rating that's out of sight … he played the game very, very well."

If recent history is any indication, the Eagles' offense should play well again - assuming Westbrook (abdominal strain) is healthy enough to play. And the Giants' offense should be able to put up plenty of points, especially if Plaxico Burress (ankle) is ready to go, too. High-scoring games have become common for the Giants and Eagles. The teams averaged 51.7 combined points in the three games they played against each other last year.

"But the past games are over," McNabb said. "We are playing against one of our rivals - a team that knows us. And we know them."

And they both know that a win tonight will save their season...again.

This is one game I want to watch, its going to be a real knockdown NFC East type of game, with two desperate teams trying to make a comeback. I don't think its going to ruin their season to lose but it sure isn't going to be pleasant for them. For me this one is a tossup on who I want to win, its a darn shame one has to win. A tie would be nice but thats highly unlikely.

This means nothing except he is playing, right?

September 30, 2007, 10:02

Eagles RB Westbrook "Very Questionable"

John Clayton, ESPN

John Clayton of ESPN reports that the abdominal strain Philadelphia Eagles RB Brian Westbrook is suffering from puts him as "very questionable" for Sunday night's game against the Giants. More on this as the day progresses.

John Clayton, ESPN

John Clayton of ESPN reports that the abdominal strain Philadelphia Eagles RB Brian Westbrook is suffering from puts him as "very questionable" for Sunday night's game against the Giants. More on this as the day progresses.

WTF is very questionable, lol

Probable = 75%

Questionable =50%

Doubtful= 25%

Very questionable. 62.5%?

If he doesn't play can we put this durable nonsense to rest?

As an aside, I really want to see how Justice does starting at tackle.

WTF is very questionable, lol

Probable = 75%

Questionable =50%

Doubtful= 25%

Very questionable. 62.5%?

If he doesn't play can we put this durable nonsense to rest?

If he misses a few games this season, sure. If he misses one out of 16 games this year (as he did last year) then I think it would only strengthen the perspective that he's not as fragile as people say.

I'm excited to watch Justice, too. He's been labeled a bust by some, despite the fact that the team hasn't expected him to play unless Tra suffered an injury. He's had a year and a half to learn the new position, and Umenyiora presents a pretty legitimate test. We should learn a lot about him tonight.

I feel bad for Tom, but I think the Eagles will be the ones to continue climbing out of the bad start. I know that the stats are against any 1-3 team, but I have seen such things change more than once over the course of 16 games. There's still reasonable hope for whoever loses, depending on the circumstances of the loss (injuries, performances etc.).

John Clayton, ESPN

"very questionable" = 200+ combined yards...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well, Justice pretty much sucked tonight, which was good.

Reid is so damn stubborn. At some point he has to give Justice help and not allow his QB to continue getting raped. That's what TEs are for.

Un freaking believable.

Well, Justice pretty much sucked tonight, which was good.

Reid is so damn stubborn. At some point he has to give Justice help and not allow his QB to continue getting raped. That's what TEs are for.

Un freaking believable.

He instituted the "Spurrier Blocking Scheme" (i.e. everyone "Go Out").

Another thing. I'm watching the game with my wife, and she's doing something else, kind of half paying attention.

She watches a play and says "can he do that?" She was looking at Justice rock back before the snap. I honestly have no idea how this was not called every time as a false start. My wife >>>the refs.

Another thing. I'm watching the game with my wife, and she's doing something else, kind of half paying attention.

She watches a play and says "can he do that?" She was looking at Justice rock back before the snap. I honestly have no idea how this was not called every time as a false start. My wife >>>the refs.

I ref youth soccer...and sometimes (hopefully this can't be tracked) you feel bad for a team getting destroyed...and well...

Archived