Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

UFC and HBO (Finally) Ink a Deal

steveo21

Report: UFC and HBO (Finally) Ink a Deal; "Inside the UFC" Returning Posted by UFC Junkie on April 17, 2007 at 3:13 pm ET

hboAfter months of negotiations, the UFC and HBO have finally inked a deal that will result in a handful of UFC events airing on the subscription-cable giant. That's the word from MMANews.com, which quoted a conference call today with UFC president Dana White.

The negotiations between the UFC and HBO began in early 2007, but little progress had been made since the initial talks. Reports surfaced early in the process that HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg didn't want to air UFC events at all. Although he eventually warmed up to the idea (after the head of HBO stepped in), his predecessor (Seth Abraham) called the potential deal "ridiculous" and stated that it would tarnish HBO's once-might boxing division.

The inability for the two sides to come to terms on items such as production crews and broadcast teams forced this weekend's UFC 70 event to air on Spike TV, rather than HBO as was first planned.

From MMANews.com:

Dana just mentioned during the conference call with Mirko CroCop to the international media today that the UFC and HBO have officially inked a deal and the company will debut on the premium network this summer.

When asked about the details he skipped around for a while but finally said that HBO will be doing the production. But he also said that he would never have signed a deal that he wasn't comfortable with.

Despite the deal reportedly being signed, it's far too late in the process for this weekend's UFC 70 event, which takes in England, to air on HBO rather than Spike TV. Additionally, it's unknown if Ireland's UFC 72 show (which the UFC recently announced would also air on Spike TV) could instead take place on HBO.

In addition to the HBO news, White also announced that PRIDE Fighting Championships would have a "huge TV deal" here in the U.S.

Also, he said that "Inside the UFC," the weekly UFC-news show hosted by Joe Rogan, will be returning to Spike TV.

For the full report, head over to MMANews.com. Comments 6 Comments | Posted in PRIDE, Dana White, Inside the UFC, UFC on HBO | April 17, 2007 UFC 70 Weigh-ins Open to the Public Posted by UFC Junkie on April 17, 2007 at 10:05 am ET

UFC 70Weigh-ins for Saturday's "UFC 70: Nations Collide" take place Friday at Bridgewater Hall on Lower Mosely Street (in Manchester, England). Doors open at 12:45 p.m. local time for the event, which is open to the public.

Free tickets to the weigh-ins are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Fans will need to get a a wristband in the foyer of the Bridgewater Hall starting at noon on Friday.

The first fighter is due on the scales at 1:30 p.m.

As of now, UFC.com has no information listed about the possible broadcast of the event via the Web or television.

UFC 70 takes place at the M.E.N. Arena in Manchester on Saturday. It'll be the first show outside of America in nearly five years. The event airs on Spike TV in America and Canada on a tape-delay basis, and some Canadian fans will also have the option to purchase the live event via pay-per-view.

Breaking from tradition, the event will include a total of 10 bouts -- rather than the usual nine -- with an international roster of talent. Televised bouts include Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Gabriel Gonzaga, David Heath vs. Ryoto Machida, Michael Bisping vs. Elvis Sinosic, Andrei Arlovski vs. Fabricio Werdum, and Assuerio Silva vs. Cheick Kongo.

UFCjunkie.com will provide live updates from the event on Saturday afternoon.

For more information about UFC 70, including our recent interview with Arlovski, visit the UFCjunkie.com archives.

I like UFC but they have to find a way to make the fights last longer. Like in boxing where it takes more skill to bring someone down. One hard shot and its over in the UFC. I've been to 5 matches 4 out of 5 I didn't even get drunk enough and the fights were over.

That is pretty cool.

I may have to get HBO now..

Don't waste your time, HBO sucks. They show the same movies over and over. UFC is still going to have the big name stars fight on PPV. From what I've read, the HBO events will be slightly better versions of the Spike TV events. You might get a fading star like Tito on them but nothing the likes of what you get on PPV.

Don't waste your time, HBO sucks. They show the same movies over and over. UFC is still going to have the big name stars fight on PPV. From what I've read, the HBO events will be slightly better versions of the Spike TV events. You might get a fading star like Tito on them but nothing the likes of what you get on PPV.

Yeah, that is why I got rid of it in the first place.

This may make me get it though...

I like UFC but they have to find a way to make the fights last longer. Like in boxing where it takes more skill to bring someone down. One hard shot and its over in the UFC. I've been to 5 matches 4 out of 5 I didn't even get drunk enough and the fights were over.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

That's one of the best things about MMA, it oculd be over in 2 minutes, could be over in 20 minutes. It's all about timing and skill.

I'll wait and see what cards are put on HBO before I order it, I cancelled all the movie channels along time ago, freakin waste of money.

I get showtime, HBO, Cine, and Starz with all thier inDemand stuff for 15 a month. That's cheap

Archived