Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LB question for Knowlegable Fans

obiemills

I have been a Redskin fan since Johnny O and Sam Baker but must admit that ignorance of the skills required of particular positions has stayed with me through all the years. I keep hearing that Sean Taylor "hits like a linebacker" from Sam Huff and recently read that Adam A. was brought on board to be a "hybrid type" linebacker to blitz and tackle. Since the cover skills of each seem somewhat suspect, why don't they play linebacker? Would the trio of ST, AA, and Rocky have any potential? If not, why not? Are they too small? Since they are tacklers, blitzers, and quick, could that make up for size?

I realize the questions open me up for attack as being stupid and ignorant so I freely plead guilty. I would like some responses that enlighten me beyond my ignorance.

AA & ST are to small to be every down lb's, if they were converted they would be 3rd down backers that's not good to pay them what there getting for situational plays. They need to work on coverage skills but the real problem to me is they have to do 2 jobs play safety and pick up the slack from our lb's who are undersized with little talent at best.

Do you really want they clowns aka: GW making decisions like that...sounds pretty half baked....wait they are moving Springs to Safety...it could be fully baked to GW!

Moving Springs to safety is a great idea. It will prolong his career.

Look at Troy Vincent. Springs has got the body type and the ability to hit, not just make tackles, that would make him a pretty decent safety.

Obie,

You are not way off base here. Many safeties have made a transition to LB, notably Archuleta and Brian Urlacher. In a traditional 4-3, they might be a little smallish for LB, except on the weak side, where I too have advocated trying out Archuleta. Archuleta actually played LB at Arizona State. If the Skins played a 3-4, there would be a greater opportunity for large safeties to move up in the set. Taylor is a freak at FS and I would never move him from that spot. He has the speed to play coverage and the strength to send receivers into the next zip code. However, Williams likes to play aggressive schemes, so sending in guys like Taylor and Archuleta from an up position could be worked into more packages.

I think it's an issue of durability.

It's great to have big hitters in the secondary, but that doesn't necessarily mean they could play up in the box.

NFL linebackers must regularly smash into a running fullback, tight end, or even a center or guard. they then have to shed that block and make a tackle. You can't ask a guy who weighs 210 pounds to do that 30 times a game. They'd never hold up.

I believe we can see the drawbacks with making a former safety our regular middle linebacker. Lemar is pretty good in coverage but I think he is worn down from the everyday rigors of playing in the MLB spot.

Rocky is 6'2" 231

Marshall is 6'2" 227

Holman is 6'1" 235

Taylor is 6'2" 232

As you can see, Taylor is LB sized!

These numbers should also show Marshall appears better suited to be on the outside.

If Springs was to play S opposite ST, it would allow ST be for involved in the blitz. I however am concerned with Springs shoulders holding up at S.

AA is 6' 223 so could play a hybrid, which would suit him better. He would however still be required to frequently cover. Also, unless he had a tremendous DL to cover him up, the opposition would run at him. The pulling C or G would road grade him into the turf.

this is also a good indiator that we need a protypical 245-255lb LBer to play in the middle, not a undersized converted safety.

I'm with you on the bigger, instinctive, good tackling MLB!

These numbers should also show Marshall appears better suited to be on the outside.

Talking 255lb's however scares me, due to abilities to stick in coverage. They would need to be an athletic freak, which would be okay with me.

obiemills --- Since the cover skills of each seem somewhat suspect, why don't they play linebacker? Would the trio of ST, AA, and Rocky have any potential? If not, why not? Are they too small? Since they are tacklers, blitzers, and quick, could that make up for size?

Sean Taylor would be super as an outside LB. But, he was brought here (#1 pick) for his skill in coverage, particulary for challenging TEs like Jeremy Shockey.

Archuleta, too small for the LB position, could play Buddy Ryan's 46, where the safety primarily provides run support. It wouldn't be a full-time job, but he could be useful.

Too undersized.

ST or AA could not go against a lineman play after play if needed. Its also not utilizing them right. I agree ST is kind of a safety/LB hybrid, so its better to use him in packages as such. Just because he is listed as a safety doesnt mean he doesnt take the role of an LB on certain plays. However consistent LB play would be a recipe for injury. I bet you see Rocky come back next year packing 10-15 lbs more.

Archived