Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will this hurt ES next season?

bubba9497

NFL reining in images: The NFL is clamping down on digital video pictures taken during games. That should end up being bad news for local television stations along the sidelines. The league showed owners examples of how video shot along the sidelines ended up on Web sites. The NFL is trying to control its intellectual content. The wording of the resolution wasn't available Tuesday evening.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=clayton_john#20060328

The whole concept of "images" being "intellectual property" is rediculous. Ban cameras from the sidelines if you want to control this.

Some of the videos I've seen here scraped from TV and effectively "re-broadcast" from someone's website might be another issue. I would tread lightly there. At the end of every NFL broadcast they have the disclaimer that the "video cannot be rebroadcast without express permission from the NFL" so I think they have legal footing there.

By the way - My 400th post :cheers: :point2sky

The NFL can kiss my ass. They must come to grips with modern technology. Cell phones can now take up to 4meg pictures. What are they going to do ban cell phones too? I don't think ES will be hurt if they cannot post pictures, we can always email them or something. It just sucks that the NFL has nothing else to worry about than message boards posting pictures from games.

I guess copyright infringement always has precident. If they say we can't do it we can't do it. It will never hurt us Bubba, we will always be here, getting stronger every season.

Nice find Bubba. I don't think many people have noticed this. I think since ES is hosted by the Redskins, it shouldn't hurt ES. It also doesn't apply to pictures, only video.

Isn't the NFL already too far down the path of protecting their content? This hurts fans, and unless the NFL starts to release Season DVD sets or allow people to purchase NFL content, it is a bad idea and anti-fan.

The NFL can kiss my ass. They must come to grips with modern technology. Cell phones can now take up to 4meg pictures. What are they going to do ban cell phones too? I don't think ES will be hurt if they cannot post pictures, we can always email them or something. It just sucks that the NFL has nothing else to worry about than message boards posting pictures from games.

I guess copyright infringement always has precident. If they say we can't do it we can't do it. It will never hurt us Bubba, we will always be here, getting stronger every season.

:applause: Well this about closes that matter. LOL! :laugh: :laugh:

What they should be worried about is the amount of bad calls during games and not what people are doing with the pictures they take at games. :doh:

Nice find Bubba. I don't think many people have noticed this. I think since ES is hosted by the Redskins, it shouldn't hurt ES. It also doesn't apply to pictures, only video.

Isn't the NFL already too far down the path of protecting their content? This hurts fans, and unless the NFL starts to release Season DVD sets or allow people to purchase NFL content, it is a bad idea and anti-fan.

correct me if im wrong vets, but ES isnt hosted by the Redskins, its partnered with them. That being the case, if the NFL doesnt like that stuff on the web, you can expect them to inform their entities (in this case, the redskins), who will in turn inform us.

They can "do" anything they want. The real question is whether they could ever enforce anything like this if they ever had to go to court. I suspect that the WORST outcome if any judge upheld the NFL's view would be that ES would have to stop using the image(s) in question. ES is a not for profit site correct? So the NFL would have a really tough time proving any damages to get any compensation.

They can "do" anything they want. The real question is whether they could ever enforce anything like this if they ever had to go to court. I suspect that the WORST outcome if any judge upheld the NFL's view would be that ES would have to stop using the image(s) in question. ES is a not for profit site correct? So the NFL would have a really tough time proving any damages to get any compensation.

Actually, we're clear on this as we are not local media :). The advantages of being in. No worries on this :).

correct me if im wrong vets, but ES isnt hosted by the Redskins, its partnered with them. That being the case, if the NFL doesnt like that stuff on the web, you can expect them to inform their entities (in this case, the redskins), who will in turn inform us.

On that note, could we get the Redskins to allow the posting of videos and pictures on this site? would that be approval by the NFL? and nobody here is making any kind of profit off of anything......

I wouldn't worry a bit. We all know how effective the arious attempts to protect intellectual property on the internet have been. Seriously, people have 10,000 song collections and never paid for a 1 (though I am not one of these people).

No way they stop it. Where there is a will there is a way to steal intellectual property.

As we are the team's property and function, essentially, as "team officials" on the sidelines, I suspect we'll be ok here regardless. But, it's something to look into.

Then again ES isnt controlled by the Redskins...

Still Redskins are in the NFL, ES is kind of property of the Redskins...maybe they ought to start giving ES a small budget so its safer for us here.

Hint Hint- Snyder open your pocketbook.

Guest santana4prez
The whole concept of "images" being "intellectual property" is rediculous. Ban cameras from the sidelines if you want to control this.

Some of the videos I've seen here scraped from TV and effectively "re-broadcast" from someone's website might be another issue. I would tread lightly there. At the end of every NFL broadcast they have the disclaimer that the "video cannot be rebroadcast without express permission from the NFL" so I think they have legal footing there.

By the way - My 400th post :cheers: :point2sky

My 400th post is congrating you on your 400th post!:laugh:

Im not worried about the NFL they have nothing on ESkins.:cheers:

Then again ES isnt controlled by the Redskins...

Still Redskins are in the NFL, ES is kind of property of the Redskins...maybe they ought to start giving ES a small budget so its safer for us here.

Hint Hint- Snyder open your pocketbook.

I've asked him for $1 million for myself, but he has reluctant to part with it. Not sure why. I know I'm worth it.

Archived